Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacing King bass chrome tailpiece with ebony tailpiece

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by tellier, Jan 18, 2006.

1. tellier

tellier

Dec 29, 2002
    Edmonton, AB
    This last year I bought a King Slap King double bass (http://www.kingdoublebass.com) which I really like. It came with a chrome tailpiece that looks great. But I am thinking of changing the chrome tailpiece to an ebony tailpiece because I think I might be able to get better tone and I think it might make the bass a lot lighter.

Has anyone done this? Did you get better tone? Did it make your bass weight less?

What is the coolest tailpiece you've ever seen?

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I can't see the back of the aluminum tp on the King site, but I am assuming that it is nowhere near as thick as an ebony tailpiece. There would be no need for it to be structurally, and it would likely be on minds of the folks at King to make the tailpiece on a pizz-only bass as light as possible.

That being said, I would be surprised if that tailpiece is significantly heavier than an ebony one.

Tonally, I would not speculate. If you play mostly amped, I'd be surprised if you noticed a huge change in tone. Maybe. It's a trial and error thing.

3. mister_k

mister_k

Jul 27, 2004
    Los Angeles
    those things are pretty d@mn heavy. I've held just the tailpiece, and its a doozy. They call it a skullbuster at the shop (or something like that.)

K.

4. tellier

tellier

Dec 29, 2002
    Edmonton, AB
    It has got to be heavier than an ebony tailpiece - it is pretty thick - looks impressive too.

It is a heavy bass (heavier than Englehardts I have tried which were also heavy) but I don't know how much of that weight is the bass or the tailpiece. Surprisingly, my 4/4 Czech bass feels twice as light.

I think I will give it a try - I guess I can always get the chrome tailpiece put back on later if I want.

Thanks,

Toby

5. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    You might want to try a Wittner synthetic tailpiece (available from Bob G)- looks like ebony, costs less, and weighs only 5.4 ounces. I put one on my bass and I think it opened up the sound... although that may just be the drugs talking....