Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

replacing pickups on a Jay Turser HELP!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kaky213, Oct 20, 2005.

1. kaky213

kaky213

Oct 20, 2005
    Hi, I have a Jay Turser JTB-1004 Bass Guitar. The problem is that the pickups don't have enough juice to them. :bawl: . I was hoping if you guys have any suggestions on what kind of pickups i should get? Or what pickups would fit on my bass.? Should I get active pickups or passive.
    My bass is: http://www.instrumentpro.com/P-JAYJTB1004?source=Affiliates&kbid=1121
    This is my first thread I would REALLY appreciate any responce. Thanks

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

It sounds like you're talking about volume and not tone. It's got active EQ so output should not be a problem. What is the pup/string spacing? The pups shouldn't be more than a 1/4" max from pup face to bottom of the strings and you should be able to get them considerablly closer than that.

If the pups/strings are properly spaced, and you don't have the eq cut (your tone controls backed off), any output lacking is more likely a matter of more amp or boosting the signal more than your preamp does. If the tone sucks, that's a different issue. If the tone is fine the pups are fine, you need more amplification not different pups.

I suspect it's not the bass but adjustment cuase usually on more moderately priced basses, output is not lacking becuase manufacturers have learned to make them loud if nothing else because volume and not tone is the standard to measure up to.

I'd also go to harmonycentral.com and read reviews on the bass and see if you hear similar complaint.

Also most amps today have active tone control, much like your bass, so tone adjustment on the amp is boosting/cutting output not just tone. Somebody had a wierd volume/tone complaint about their bass lately and it was their amp settings and nothing to do with the bass.

3. kaky213

kaky213

Oct 20, 2005
    Thanks luknfur I adjusted bass so that the strings would be closer to the pups. I sound a lot better and powerful than it did. But the tone is not where I would like it to be. Do you have any other suggestions or maybe different pickups that would fit in my bass? EMG or duncan maybe?

4. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Measure your pups and we will be able to tell you what fits and what doesn't.

5. kaky213

kaky213

Oct 20, 2005
    Ok the size of both of the pickups are exacly 4 inches in width and 1.3 inches in height. Also I was wondering if I should get passive or active pickups and what brands? Thanks

6. ihertz

ihertz

Apr 9, 2008
    Yes
    Re: JTB 1004 pickups. Can you please post the pickup dimensions again in Length x Width. I don't think height (depth) is too important. I tried Seymour Duncan and EMG but could not see a dimension chart for thir product. The JTB-1004 solid maple neck through with ash wings is a good foundation. Do you know what the neck radius and width at nut? The bridge looks like it could use an upgrade as well.