Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacing pots to get parametric ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kevinlee, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    I have this tube preamp that was custom made for me, it has what seem to be your basic bass . trebel . mid . pots in it. Also a sweep of some sort.

My question is would it be possible to replace the mid pot with a different kind to get more of parametric eq effect.
    A pot that cuts as well as boost.

The sweep pot is kind of odd as well, is there a replacement I could put in there also?

kevinlee

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

It's pretty difficult to answer those questions without a schematic, at the very least. Typically, it would take a fair bit of circuit modification to do what you're asking, not just a simple pot replacement. The guy who built it seems like the logical place to start, no?

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Are you sure the sweep pot doesn't change the frequency of your mid? If it does, then you already have a semi-parametric mid control. Are you sure you understand what parametric EQ is? Why would you want "cut and boost" on a sweep pot?

4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    What passinwind said. Post a link to the schematic (or e-mail it to me) and I'll reveal all its secrets. :)

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    hmmmmmmm sounds like the sweep pot is your mid frequency selector and that the bass mid and treble are all boost cut.