Replacing Skychord Truck Loud

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SplinteredSkull, May 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. I've decided that I'm not digging the drive character of my Truck Loud much anymore. I like how open it is, but the breakup doesn't sound quite right for using it as a low-med gain OD.

What should I swap it for? I've been looking at the JohnK Gamma, ss/bs Mini, Vick Audio Tree of Life, Southhampton Fifth Gear, and Idiotbox Han Taun. Any word on those? I'm planning to use it as a low gain OD to use through a whole song to dirty up the signal a bit, but not hugely contrast with clean guitars. Stacking well is important too.

Right now dirt wise I'm running a 250 as a high gain OD, Volt Thrower for distortion, Joyo American as a tube breakup/emulation type tone, and an Idiotbox BB as a dist/fuzz/noisemaker.

I know that the Barbershop and Blueberry come up often for this sort of thing, but I'm not really a fan of what I've heard from the Barbershop, or when I tried out the Blueberry.

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Creation Audio Grizzly does exactly what you are looking for. It kicked the Barbershop, Mini, and Blueberry...and about 10 others ....to the curb for me.

SplinteredSkull likes this.
  3. No words for any of these?

4. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    WWWJWWW
    -JohnK Gamma: nice middle ground OD. Like it.
    -SS/BS Mini: Super versatile. Cut only 2 Band EQ is great, very flexible, TONS of range.
    -SouthAmpton Fifth Gear: Amazing, small, gives you growl, will push tubes amazingly well. It's a dirty boost/growl machine, not necessary a super flexible OD
    -Haun Taun: It's a modded Klon, no experience with it, but, Klons on bass are usually kind of meh.

SplinteredSkull likes this.

5. Sounds like a Mini or Gamma would be more up my route then. Especially since I know the Mini can do lots of high gain tones too. Excane did a demo of the HT and it sounded good, but I can't trust his demos because 1. He has a very hot signal (from playing the same pedals and not getting anywhere near the same gain) and 2. We have very different tones. That 5th gear was a recent find searching these forums. I feel like I'd wait on that so I can A/B it with a Phat Phuk B.

6. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    WWWJWWW

The Mini has TONS of range, TONS.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2021