Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

replacing speakers...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mike_v_s, Jun 22, 2005.

1. I'm thinking about switching out the speakers in a cabinet I have. I've read a little bit and understand that this is not simple matter. I have time, and I'm not set on it yet....so bear with me. From what I've read, port size/length and cabinet volume are usually determined by the driver(s) used. Since I already have a cabinet, the only variables are port size/length and driver. With driver selection, I'm flexible (just an idea at this point), so that leaves me with finding a way to measure and adjust the port size to match...any simple suggestions?

Mike

2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    If you told us what speaker cabinet you're talking about,
    then we could possibly provide suggestions.

3. Good point. SWR workingman's 2X12. It's not even worth selling, so I figured I'd play a round. Plus the dimensions are quite small for the configuration. 23 1/4"W x 23 1/4"H x 18 1/2"D

Mike

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    At about 4 cu ft net that box models quite well with a pair of Delta 12 LF tuned to 45-50 Hz. I'd also add an Alpha 8MR crossed over at 1kHz to get some midrange.

5. The Deltas were one of the drivers I considered. I'm very interested in the Deltalite, as well. Back to tuning: The length of the tube in the port is an issue, correct? Any suggestion on how to "get it right" without too much trial and error? <edit> Another complication to the porting issue would be the location of the 8", as it would have to occupy the location of one of the ports. Thanks for the time.

Mike

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Delta LF, not Delta. The Delta is a guitar driver. The DeltaLite is better but still does not give the low end that the Delta LF does. To figure the required port to tune the box download the WinISD freeware program at the linearteam site. Put the mid driver on the front of the box and move a port to the back.

7. Sorry, I meant the LF. Thanks for the port suggestion (I've read location doesn't matter, but my mind went blank when the 8 was suggested). I appreciate the help.

Mike