1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacing the bridge on a Fender Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mzclark06, Oct 25, 2013.

1. mzclark06

mzclark06

Oct 1, 2013
    Knoxville, TN
    So, I bought this standard Fender Jazz Bass from a pawn shop a couple years ago, and I've slowly been refurbishing it. I recently decided to buy a new bridge because the one on there was super rusty and gross. I ordered an entire bridge assembly and mounting screws directly from Fender. As I was tightening the screws, two of them tightened completely, and the other three won't tighten all the way (they screwed in all the way, but continue to turn indefinitely). I was wondering, what exactly would be the best way to fix this?

(Also, this is my first post ever on here, I hope I did this the right way...)

2. I’m not a pro tech, but if I understand your problem, I’ve used toothpicks and white glue to fix striped holes in the wood and it’s worked very well.

PS: Welcome to TB.

3. Toothpicks and white glue are an accepted and widely used fix for this. Put in a couple of drops of white glue, add enough toothpicks to assure a tight fit by the screw (I clip off the toothpicks with side cutters), put the bridge in place and insert the screws. Don't tighten the ones you're fixing very tight - you can do that 24 hours later.

4. mzclark06

mzclark06

Oct 1, 2013
    Knoxville, TN
    So should I wait to put strings back on until I completely tighten the screws back up?

5. I would.

6. FunkyZeit

FunkyZeit

Oct 20, 2012
  7. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    This has never failed for me. I use the yellow wood glue though.

8. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Not really. That's basically the same bridge, but the height adjustment is flat head screws instead of the hex key that you have now. I would upgrade the pick ups, wiring harnass, and maybe the tuners before the bridge.

9. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    In addition, it's possible that it might not even drop-in as the screw pattern on some Squiers isn't standard Fender spacing. Most Bruno stands to gain with that bridge is a higher quality chrome plating.

10. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Agreed. It could be metric spacing, so it could be a little different.