1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

request for pedal reviewers

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by john turner, Apr 17, 2009.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    heya fellas

lately i've been lurking in your fine subforum more and more, filling up the GAS tank, but one thing that's always concerned me is how a potential pedal would respond in the lower-than-low-e domain.

you guys that do reviews for pedals (and i must say you guys all do a great job, that i've seen) could you guys mention in your reviews or titles something along the lines of "ERB review" or "low b review" if you use a 5+ in the review?

as some of you may be aware ;) , i only play 7 and 8 strings, and as i read many of these reviews, and listen to the sound clips, i often wonder how a certain pedal would sound on a low b (or lower, since quite a few of my erb's go down to low f#) . if you guys put some kind of tag in the review that you're using an erb in your review - and even better that you have used an erb in some sound samples - that would help me out immensely.

how about putting "ERB review" in your review somewhere? something that could then be subsequently searched for. that'd help me out tons, and i'm probably not alone.

thanks guys. :hyper:

2. This would be a massive help. I'm often left wondering about low B response. Good idea.

3. Request thirded.

4. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    i'm pretty sure that people who play five strings usually do that already

5. Request fourthed.

6. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    Good call, I do find some FX behave differently at sub E frequencies.

7. I don't think John is strictly referring to the low realms, though (correct me if I'm wrong, John), I think he also wants to hear their tonality on some of the higher strings.

Wait, I thought you were second? :confused: :p

8. I just care THAT much!

9. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    however the reviewer wants to do it is fine, i'm just wanting something consistent so i know what to do a search on to find reviews with erb-related information in them.

10. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    I do most of my soundclips on my 5-string in passive mode in hopes of covering how the pedal will sound with a passive bass and how well it will handle the low B.

11. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    sure you read his post? ;)

12. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    I find most pedals that sound different/track badly already show signs of that on the low E string, and don't see much a difference between the tuning I use (two steps down) and standard.

That said, I wouldn't be able to help you in any case JT. :)

Just curious, what pedals have got you GASsing?

13. I did, but I'm also aware that high bass strings =/= guitar strings, so an effect can even sound different on those strings, especially with something as responsive as a filter or a synth-ish device.

14. Allow me to tune my 5-string to F#BEAD, borrow some recording stuff, and I'll rip out a few tracks.

EDIT: AWWWW @%#&!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CONKLIN IS OUT OF THE .165 LOW F#!!!!!!!!!!!! RRRRRAAAAAGGGGEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

15. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    cool, i'll definitely look out for your reviews then :D.

16. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    what pedals don't have me gassing heh, that'd be the easier question.

i come from the old school "rack effects" paradigm, and atm have a lexicon lxp-15 ii and a boss se-70 rack units. these are cool, but tbh the lex, while having fantastic reverbs, isn't really that useful for what i'm doing and is very heavy for a single rack unit. the boss se70 has a lot of good effects in it, but it's not that easy to use, and it's also the only source i have right now of vocoding goodness, which i need to have set up if i am going to start gigging lord only again.

adding to the pedals i already have (mf 101, digitech basswhammy, mxr blowtorch and one of the black bassballs) seems like the way to go.

i don't think i need distortion - between the blow torch and my rack units (i have a marshall jmp1 and an ada mp1 along with the blowtorch), but i gotta say the zvex mammoth looks tight. that'd be one, though, that i'd want to check out with a low -b equipped bass before i pulled the trigger on it.

i really like the mf105 and want to get it to add to my 101. i'm really interested in good sounding wacko-pedals, that will add a lot of craziness to the sound.

probably gonna get the ehx voice box so i can use my boss se70 just for bass processing. also want to get a long looper/sampler that can store and hold a bunch of presets, to feed the voicebox with the appropriate synth loops.

there's quite a few of the pedals that i've seen recently, of all kinds, in the forums that have intrigued me, though :D.

17. I've heard that the problem with the Mammoth isn't the low B, so much as it is impedance issues from an active source (but the hotness of the signal itself doesn't seem to be an issue for it)

18. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hmm. how does the impedance of an active instrument impact its performance?

19. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
  20. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I just wish people who do pedal reviews would add some clips with the pedals set at less than noon. There 'is' something to be said about subtlety... really...