Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Request for pics or RD Artist basses.....and t-birds.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gingerfish, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Yeah I saw that there were a few popping up in the Gibson thread so thought I would specifically request pics of some here. Thanks for any contribution.

Jon

2. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    My latest Gibson - '77 RD Flameburst Artist

3. When I first picked up the bass('77-'78)there were two of these guys hanging in the local music store, brand-new. How I drooled..
    I thought they were the coolest looking thing in the world. Still want one. What do they sound like?

4. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    First off let me say you can get some real extreme tones with the Treble Boost mode (it'll hurt you).The Moog portion is also pretty bright (and kind of noisy) but it's also different. Difficult to describe (other than the sustain which is serious). You can read about it here:http://www.gibsonbass.com/RDartist.php

I don't find myself using any of that. In itself it's an excellent sounding active bass. Good definition and bottom. On a gig we play a broad range of material and I had no trouble getting a good solid tone and using it for the whole show. Right now I have rounds on it (I've only had it a few weeks) and I like it, but I'm looking forward to trying it with some flats. With the extra edge this bass has they should sound really good.

And they're built like a brick sh*thouse - on the heavy side and a tank. It balances well and the neck is very comfortable. A keeper for sure.

5. :rolleyes: I remember seeing one on ebay a couple of years ago- supposedly had belonged to Skinny Puppy's bassist at one time- defretted & had different pickups on it. It was a very different-looking RD. That would be a cool pic...

6. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    I believe the defretted RD your refering to was actually a T-Bird. It was recently discussed on The Dude Pit in the "Ho bag" section. There are pictures of it there also.

7. Yeah, that sounds right- thanks for the info.

8. 69Vette

69Vette

Sep 21, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Here's that fretless 'bird. It was advertised as a '67, but they didn't make reverse 'birds then so who knows... Probably '64-'65...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. 69Vette

69Vette

Sep 21, 2004
    Burbank, CA
  10. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
  11. 69Vette

69Vette

Sep 21, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    RDs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My RD with my post '87 'birds:

[​IMG]

A couple RD Standards:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(I borrowed some of these pics from Jules at www.gibsonbass.com. If you're interested in Gibson basses, it's a great site to start with.)

12. 69Vette

69Vette

Sep 21, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Some of my older 'birds:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Man, one of the coolest basses ever made was the non-reverse T-bird with the pup and bridge covers. Makes me drool every time I see one.

14. etb67

etb67 Far Out Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2005
    Ohio

+1 Mmmmmm... Gibsons.... :cool:

15. I remember seeing one that had been(professionally)refinished in seafoam green- that was hard to pass up, for me. I think it was on the 'bay. I often tell myself I will someday build a T or RD body to go w/a 5-string P-Bass neck I have lying around. I'd put a single fat MM-style humbucker in it, maybe a whammy. :eek: Someone on TB built one(T-Bird); it was orange, IIRC. Sweet bass...

16. 69Vette

69Vette

Sep 21, 2004
    Burbank, CA
  17. Like this one?[/QUOTE]

That be the culprit. Gimme!!!

18. [​IMG]

That one is for sale right now.

69Vette that's a nice looking collection.

19. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    T-bird looks killer in seafoam.