1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Request: Patch It Up Baby - Elvis Presley

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by JamesXP, Jul 31, 2012.

1. i'd like to request this, if someone provides the goods I think I may fall in love with you :D

2. Bump someones gotta know this :)

3. Bazzzump?

4. Border

Border

Dec 31, 2010
    Spokane, Wa.
    Hello James, is that from an album or movie soundtrack? I recently downloaded a four disc set "the complete Elvis" (as opposed to the "incomplete Elvis" in an attempt to learn the bass part to Suspicious Minds and Viva Las Vegas that a friend wants to play, it does not include Patch It Up Baby. I was just wondering what it was from. Thanks.

5. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    have heard a lot of Elvis and have never heard this tune. Might want to reconsider doing a more well known Elvis tune if this is a cover-band situation- IE Hound Dog, Suspicious Minds, Burning Love, etc...

6. It was originally a B-side on 'You dont have to say you love me'

and it was later released on a soundtrack album called 'elvis: thats the way it is'

thanks for the help so far!

7. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    It's a great bassline, really kinda all over the place. I don't have time to transcribe much of it because it would take some time, but if you get stuck on a lick or two I could help.

8. Really struggling to learn this by ear.. can anybody out there give me a hand? :)

9. Dayum bro! You been tying to crack this nut for a year. I heard it on youtube and from what I could tell through my cheap lil' pc speakers at work, is that it wouldn't be too hard for me to figure out. The tune must hold some sentimental value for you to be invested for so long. I'd be happy to help. This the one?

10. that's the one!

and you are right.. my dads a huge elvis fan and it's my favorite song of which he used to play to me years ago and I wanna learn it for him :)

would be so good if you could help :)

11. I ordered that's the way it is from amazon today. Elvis from 1970 should be good. In the mean time, I suggest you try out transcribe!, a very useful program for transcription.
    Until next time
    Cheers,
    Ari

12. Hi guys,

Here's a quick and dirty transcription of the first 46 bars of the song, to help get you started. There are probably a few mistakes as I didn't check anything, but I hope it will help anyway.

Timo

Attached Files:

13. Nice score. What did you write it with?

14. Sibelius.

BTW, here's a nice interview with Norbert Putnam, the bass player who was on this session with Elvis.

15. The version on That's the way it is, is live and different from the studio version. Maybe Jerry Scheff was playing instead of Norbert? I'll try to get a transcription after I can work it out.

16. Thanks alot! :)

17. Been working on the live version. It starts in D and not D flat. That first change modulates to the minor 3rd or F.
    TimoMetzemakers had it going from D flat to E natural. Would you say that it changes key there Timo or would the harmony be explained differently?

18. Technically, there's indeed a key change with that bIII chord, but it only lasts two bars, so actually writing it out would be counterproductive and hard to sight-read, especially in Db. (I replaced Db minor with C# minor for that reason.)

In this case, I think of a bIII chord as borrowed from the parallel natural minor scale (modal borrowing/interchange). It's a very common sound in pop music.

19. This is a great video of a performance that's similar to the one on the album, that's the way it is.
    Great close ups on Jerry Scheff playing his Precision.

20. Thought I'd let anyone interested know that I've been working on the live version of this tune intermittently.
    Here's my rough draft of the first page.

rufpatchitup001_zpse0781264.

There's about 3 minutes left of the track to transcribe. Y'all think I should finish it?