1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Requesting Info Regarding My Bass - Hondo II

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kyri, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Kyri

Kyri

Jan 19, 2012
    Hi all. First post here. Hopefully I'm posting this in the right place, so here goes...

Basically, about 3 months ago whilst at my uncle's place (who is a guitar player), he pulled out an old bass he has had for a number of years. He handed it to me and we started jamming and it was great fun even though I had no idea what I was doing at the time. I decided to take it home and have been practising since then. The bass in question is a 'Hondo II' it seems. Links to pics below (although not the greatest quality).

Pic 1
    Pic 2
    Pic 3
    Pic 4

Now you're probably laughing at all that grey tape over it. :D Well the cord that connects to the amp (god, I don't even know what it's called), is faulty and buzzes like crazy if not held down in that exact position. Yes, I really should buy a new one. That and a new strap, which needs tape to stay in place. :smug:

Other than a brief Google search, from which I gather that it seems to be a rather cheap, old, beginner bass, I don't know much else about it (such as the year it was made for example). So if anyone has any information they may know about it, it would be much appreciated.

I was thinking of just buying a new bass, but I am also contemplating buying a guitar soon and learning both instruments and really don't have the budget to buy both. However, this bass I guess isn't too bad for my needs at this point in time. I mean, it doesn't have the greatest sound, but I don't know whether that's just because of my small amp/amp settings. Will replacing the strings for example (which look quite old) help improve the sound? Anything else worth doing to it? If the bass is worth keeping, cosmetically it definitely needs some work (for example, the knobs are rusted and look terrible).

2. digitalmoney

digitalmoney

Nov 13, 2011
    Appleton WI
    That bass is just fine get a new cord and put new strings on it
    Ask your uncle where he goes

3. bigcatJC

bigcatJC

Jul 9, 2004
    That's almost exactly my first bass - same model and finish! The only difference I can see is the neck finish. Mine had a tinted "aged" look, but it was so fake it was practically orange. How many tons does this one weigh?

4. Hondo's were Korean Vox copies weren't they? From back in the early 80's?

I dunno, it's late. I could be getting it confused.

5. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Banned Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    Hondo basses were made at either the Matsumoku or Fujigen factory in the 70's or the '80s. They are great quality instruments, if taken care of.

Just Google it and you will see tons of them, you should go to the link here for the Hondo owners club for more info.

I have owned the Hondo Longhorn bass and it was my main gigging bass in the early 1980's. Brass Nut, bridge, Seymour Duncan-esque P pickup. Had a very P sound, with a Dano shape.

6. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Nebraska
    Never owned a Hondo bass, however my electric guitar is a Hondo from the 70's or 80's and I love it! Quality guitar and great tone/sound.

7. RedsFan75

RedsFan75

Apr 26, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I had an acoustic guitar in the late 70s that was a Hondo II. If it had been given a decent setup it would have been pretty decent. It sounded better than a lot of guys I played with until the bluegrass pickers pulled out their Martins... then I was done! :D

8. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    i would totally play one of those if it was given to me:) But i would probably replace the electronics and get a new cable.

9. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    Get rid of the tape. Go get you some clear white vinegar and some Q-tips. Dip the Q-tips in the vinegar and clean out the inside of the jack. Swab the interior of the opening and reach in and swab those contacts inside it. Do it a few times to make sure you get all the accumulated residue off of the contact surfaces. You may be very pleasantly surprised at the result. I know I was.

10. Kyri

Kyri

Jan 19, 2012
    Un.Be.Lievable. You sir, are a god. Did exactly this and it's now perfect. I thought originally it was the cable I had, so I got a new one and the same thing was happening. Evidently not. Thank-you x100.

Appreciate all the info about the bass as well. I guess it's not as bad as I thought.

11. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    I learn-eded it on Talk Bass. Works well on the metal part on the exterior as well. Just use cotton balls if you have large areas of chrome to address.

Mine went from this...
    P1010526.

To this....
    P1020267.

12. Kyri

Kyri

Jan 19, 2012
    Wow, will definitely give it a go on the other metal parts.

13. digitalmoney

digitalmoney

Nov 13, 2011
    Appleton WI
    Sweet tip I bought spray for like 15 bucks from Guitar Satan. D5 good stuff though for tube ends and connectors or sliding eq's on amps and you can spray it in the pots jacks on your bass.

14. mikeddd

mikeddd Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    Ah, Hondo Guitars. Brings me back to the early 80's when I first started learning to play the guitar. The local music shop (there was no internet back then) had TONS of Hondo guitars and basses. Back then I knew basses went "thump-thump"and not much else. How wrong I was. But I digress.

As has been stated. Made in Japan. Decent quality copies; some with REALLY nice wood/grain and if taken care of (or hidden in a closet/under a bed for years) are still excellent players today.

I'd buy a new cord and strap and take it in for a good setup. I'll bet your bass is as good as any MIM Fender made today, assuming it's in good shape to begin with. Nice bass and good luck!

15. They're an o.k. quality (certainly not fantastic) beginners' Bass from the late '70's/early '80's. Their ads were all over Guitar Player mag back then. A band I was in back then, the guitarists both had Hondo Les Paul copies.

16. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    oceanside
    I've been playing for more than 25 years, and that's the first time I've ever heard that trick. Thanks!

17. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    Wow, I feel like a hero today. :smug: My pleasure. I'm sure I heard it from someone hear a few years ago, but can't say that I remember who it was. Anyway, I'm happy to pay it forward.

18. redwookie

redwookie Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Chicago
    Ah...Hondo. Nothing fancy, just a good basic thump! Great bass to learn some stuff on.

19. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Here's my Hondo II, bought new in the early 80s, was my main bass throughout the decade.
    1209111725a.

ATLbassist likes this.
  20. sharkwagon

sharkwagon

Aug 13, 2009
    Dallas TX
    I had one of those long horn type hondos. Great bass, great neck, great sound. P-bass grind, but light and with a j-type neck. I had a precison special "cowpoke" that sounded like muddy crap by comparison. I traded the fender it for a 12 string acoustic after I played the Hondo and never missed it.