1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Required care for a hybrid?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Fractal20, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Fractal20

Fractal20

Feb 8, 2011
    Hi, I recently moved to New Orleans. I was previously borrowing a bass from my Uncle, which I returned for the move. I am hoping to get my own down here and have been interested in hybrids. However, I am pretty ignorant about the additional care that they may require. I have heard moving a bass to a hot humid climate can be better than the other way around (seems opening as opposed to cracking, or is that not the case?).

What do they require to stay happy? Would I need a de-humidifer in the room? What could I expect if I don't? At this point, while I do play out, music is just my hobby, so if a lot of care is required I might start looking more for ply's. I tried to search around on the form but didn't really turn up anything. My apologies if this has been addressed. Thanks!

2. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

Jan 17, 2012
    A hybrid is a bass with plywood back and sides, and a carved top. The humidity still requires monitoring, but the top will really be the thing majorly affected. Too much humidity is just as bad as too little, a bass will do fine in a changing climate as long as the humidity drops are not long term, but if you are going from a cold room to lets say, an outdoor gig on the beech, you have to let your bass warm up in the case for a little bit. Use the search this has been asked a thousand times, i know this because i too asked a similar question.