1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Restoring an Epiphone ET-285

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mikewnaylor, May 24, 2012.

1. mikewnaylor

mikewnaylor

May 24, 2012
    Hello everyone, just joined the forums here hoping to gain some knowledge.

Just wondering if anyone had knew of some pickups that would fit an Epiphone ET-285. Picked one up some years ago in a pawn shop for about $80.00, finish was extremely bad so I've been in the process of restoring it and found that the pickups had been doctored and have since given up the ghost. I'd like to replace them with wound pickups and use the original chrome covers if possible but am open to suggestions at this point.

Thanks in advance.

2. mikewnaylor

mikewnaylor

May 24, 2012
    Just ran across some possibilities and want to see if anyone has any input on these pickups:

Seymour Duncan Antiquity IIs:
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Seymour-Duncan-Antiquity-II-Adjustable-Mini-Humbucker-H68340-i1643578.gc

DiMarzio DP123's:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/dimarzio-dp123-model-j-bass-pickup-set

The DiMarzio's are more in my price-range for the set, but I'd have to do some wood work to make it look ok. Just wanted to know if they'd be worth the extra effort, or if the Seymours outclass them enough for the money.

Thanks again in advance.

3. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Can you get the originals rewound? A number of places will do that.

4. mikewnaylor

mikewnaylor

May 24, 2012
    Thanks for the reply TinIndian, I recently spoke with a friend who builds guitars and he recommended giving Lindy Fralin a call. Just spoke with them and it looks like they may can repair or rewind the originals... Here's their website in case anyone is interested:

http://www.fralinpickups.com/rewind_repair.asp

Very nice folks to talk to. I'll be sending off the pickups next month and will keep you updated. I'm excited at the possibility of getting the originals to work. When the worked, they had a great sound!

5. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    Yes, yes, yes! For a restoration, it seems that a professional rewind is the right way to go. The appearance of those big old chrome pick up covers is part and parcel of the mystique.

I wonder if Lindy Fralin would also pot them in wax for you? I was considering dipping the pickups on my old Avalon (Kawaii-Teisco derivation) to make that a bit less microphonic. I'm a little fearful to do it though. I've heard that some vintage pickups do not take well to this. In particular, it seems that Fender stopped potting their pick ups for a short time because a certain batch of wire that they were using for their windings was not standing up to the hot wax. Not sure how if something like this could be a factor with other vintage brands.