Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Restoring old basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jiro, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Jiro

Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    If you took an old bass like a 65 fender p-bass and it was in very playable shape, but like had A ton of scratchs the bridge is rusted off almost the knobs too and the strings so dirty....

Like everybody says(i think) modding an old bass would make the price drop

But what about restoring old relics could you repaint it like new? If you repainted it would it decrease the price? Or is the Orginal more expensive

2. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Definitely drops the value. Any instrument collector will tell you - All original is what counts.

3. I think repainting it would NOT be a good idea, if it's older than 1970 or so. It would be worth more with the scratched original finish than it would be if repainted.

Certainly replacing strings would be OK. If the bridge is terribly rusted, it could be cleaned up, or if absolutely necessary, replaced with the exact same replacement without harming the value too much IMHO. Same way with knobs or even potentiometers, but only if the exact same components were used to replace. After all, it must be playable to be worth anything.

4. Oh my god!
    Please don't do this horrible thing! Keep it original, keep it 65!
    Bad idea to refinish it, you'll lose the vintage status of your bass!

Vince

5. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    If bass plays and sound good, leave it alone.
    Or sell it to me?