1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Resume tips?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Mar 15, 2008.

1. So folks, I'm beginning to apply for summer internships, which means I actually need to have a resume.

Thing is, I haven't much a clue as to how to write a resume. I'll be getting my parents to help me out with that, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask here for some helpful tips when writing one. What all should I write in the cover letter? What are some do's and don'ts etc.

Any help appreciated.

2. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    If your previous work experience includes semi-professional gambler or exotic massage technician, just leave 'em out.

3. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Plenty of sources on line. MS Word has a template you can fill out. Look at other people's resumes. Your school should be able to help you as well.

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Make absolutely sure you know how to use spell-check!

I've probably seen over a hundred resumes in the past two weeks of first-year law students seeking summer clerkships that had all kinds of just plain stupid spelling errors. It's really just pathetic how poorly organized these resumes are.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I recommend not using these. Everyone else has these and your resume wants to set YOU apart.

Does your school have a career center or something of the sort? They would be more useful than anyone.

6. There isn't any personal info in my resume in word format (I can remove it if there is). PM me if you want a copy of mine.

Just remember to be honest and not to embellish. Keep it free of too many job specific words. Your resume will hit a HR recruiter before it hits a dept manager and the recruiter will have no idea what job specific jargon you reference.

Keep words like I, me, and I've out of the resume. Recruiters like seeing that you can work in a team for the most part depending on the job. EX. Instead of saying "I saved the company 4 million last year" say "Worked on consolidating operating costs in order to better manage company resources" Usually that will have the interviewer open up a line of questioning to explain exactly what you did.

SInce this is an intership if you don't have a detailed work history make sure to list whatever groups you are a part of and maybe even have some leadership roles (like church etc.)

Just as an example :)

If you have more specific questions like a cover letter and/or objective let me know.

7. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Lie and lie often.

8. I would disagree with that.

Like Fenderhutz says, leave places for them to ask you questions. If you know the questions you are most likely to be asked, you can have some answers prepared.

In writing, sell yourself, use as many buzz words as you can, things like team work, time keeping etc etc. A number of companies even use electronic checkers to check resumes and pick out the ones with alot of buzz words like that. Also, keep it proffessional, and as has been said, triple check your spelling and grammer

9. pongoresume.com is perfect. Lots of templates to choose from.