Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Retractable Frets!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by malthumb, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Why didn't somebody think of that before?

78 vote(s)
    24.6%
  2. Naw...., that's going too far

28 vote(s)
    8.8%
  3. Just a gimmick

87 vote(s)
    27.4%
  4. I'd be concerned about the integrity of the neck

101 vote(s)
    31.9%
  5. Who cares? Where'd that guy learn to play?

23 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. Bob the Bass

Bob the Bass

Aug 13, 2004
    UK
    Neat, & what a player !:bassist:

2. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    sounds kind of thin to me, probably has something to do with the frets not being set in a fingerboard.

3. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    yes, the bass sounds way beter in fretless mode

4. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    3rd thread about this bass... i like the idea but the fretted part sounds awful.

5. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    fixed it.
    -Alex

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I wouldnt expect this from a non noob, whats up malthumb?

7. EBMatt

EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    I really don't think that the bass sounds bad at all fretted - it's nothing you couldn't fix with a few EQ adjustments. Also, take into consideration that he puts some reverb on when in the fretless mode, making it sound a bit nicer fretless.

8. I think this has been posted before, but in case you haven't seen it, here's the site of the guy that makes them. http://mikeyguitar.com/Demo.asp (he did it with a regular guitar too!
    I think it's an awesome idea, but I gotta wonder how long that neck is gonna last.

9. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Slow Day + Interesting Concept = Freaky Poll ;)

My personal take on it is that I'd be concerned about the integrity of the neck. What type of hardware is under that fingerboard and what happens to it if you have to adjust relief? Will the frets still line up correctly with truss adjustments? That's just me thinking like an engineer, not a bass player. Some of the issues with the sound of the fretted mode could probably be EQ'd out. What did surprise me is that the fretless mode sounded so good. I would be concerned that any gaps in the fingerboard surface would queer the sound.

Peace,

James

10. pathdoc2

pathdoc2

Oct 16, 2002
    Allen, TX
    Killer idea. Sounds great in both modes.

11. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    There was/is one for sale in the 12th Fret store in Toronto. It's very well made and sounds very good. Just way too expensive.

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Several thousand. For that price, you can get way better im sure...

Im also curious about the truss rod and the fret levels and such.

13. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    It's ridiculously expensive, so it isn't even work having around as a novelty. Still nice to dream, though.

14. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Still don't like the fretted sound, must be the pretty middy sound he has going in.

15. Did anyone else notice on the video... go back and look at it, its a 5 string bass with only 4 strings on it... WOW, great way to sell a product, this same video is also advertising the product on there website. If they can have that much attention to detail how do you think the bass would hold up if you bought one yourself?

Just a thought... any comments? :ninja:

16. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I don't mind the freted sound, I'm wondering if a fretjob is even possible???

17. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ

Maybe you should watch the video again. The 5th string is plainly visible around 20 seconds into the video. You can also see the string coming off the bridge saddle throughout the video.

18. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Yes, but i bet that any smart guit tech or luthier is going to tell you that if the frets wont roll inside the fretboard once the fretjob is done hes is not going to pay you a new full set of frets.

BTW that bass has no fetboard radius.