1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Returned to Bass after 30 years

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by Mapleleaf, May 13, 2010.

1. Reading the other posts, at 52 I'm glad I'm not on my own.. - just onto my second mid life crisis - did the sports car thing now back on the bass - its def cheaper and safer :)

bought a bass about 4 years ago after a 30 year break and played a bit just for fun - Really got the urge again since recently relocating from UK to Canada and now taking professional lessons to relearn everything I thought I could do properly when self taught. Jeez its hard getting my fingers to co-ordinate with each other - plus I'm a lefty. trying to get my two plucking fingers alternating properly and using 1 finger per fret is challenging when al 4 are on the go- just working on the spider technique. But I'm enjoying it and looking forward to playing my favourite rock songs again - properly this time ie with the correct fingering technique.

Currenly playing a Stagg lefty jazz bass lookalike and a Roland bass cube to practice on.

My genre is Rock, Led Zep, Deep Purple, Queen, Cream, Pink Floyd etc but also like blues and some motown. currently relearning Badge - Cream, Sunshine of your love - Cream, Money- Pink Floyd, Another one bites the dust - Queen, Moondance - Van Morrison

The help & tips on this forum are great, thanks.

2. nice to see there are still a few oldies taking up bass...

I've had a few lessons now and all I can say is they are well worth the cost! My confidence and technique are improving nicely, several bad habits I had from being previously self taught have been addressed. Its hard work and finding enough time to practice each week can be a challenge but I am enjoying learning and have a great feeling when I get a riff just right and at the right speed!

3. BobBbass

BobBbass

Oct 17, 2007
    Well, put 'er there, because I'm 56. When I played in my college days ('71-'75), we played a lot of Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Doobie Bros, Quicksilver Messenger Service, etc......
    Now I don't play much (can't find guitarists, drummer) but, strangely, I have turned to putting basses together from parts.

I admire your taking lessons. Hope they go well for you---- I once heard that one of my 'heroes' on the bass state that he wished he would have taken lessons rather than his home-made way of playing.

Getting my plucking hand is the hardest thing for me; plus, I've learned that I "push" other instruments --- I hit the beat a little quick rather than in the middle of the beat. Didn't use to do that, but I guess that's one of my side-effects of getting older.....
    Good luck to you!