Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reverb Unit Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Andy Brown, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Can someone recommend a reverb unit for vocals/mastering? We just converted from practicing with a PA to sending everything to headphones.

We're recording everything now as well, and the vox just sound crappy without some 'verb.

Thanks.

2. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Lexicon just came out with the MX200 (I'm pretty sure that's the model number, anyway.) An awful lot of engineers were excited over them at the last NAMM show. They sound great, you can use them as a regular hardware box (1/4" TRS I/O) or plug them in via USB and use them as a VST plugin in your favorite DAW; the algorithms are based off of Lexicon's existing plug-in line. And as I recall, the MSRP was less than $200. I only heard the NAMM demo personally, but I'm pretty sure one of these is in my studio's near future ;) .

3. mnadelin

mnadelin

Apr 6, 2003
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I don't now how much you want to experiment, but I've always done it naturally. Sometimes I set up a speaker in a garage, gym or other open room and a mic at the other and it usually sounds good. Lately what I've been doing is putting a speaker at one end of the air duct in my basement and a microphone at the other end. It's a unique verb sound. Eventually I want to make a self-contained version of that.

That being said, I understand you probably don't want to mess around with anything like that. I've always heard good things about that lexicon unit mentioned in the previous posts.

4. DaveMcLain

DaveMcLain

Jun 19, 2005
    Cuba MO
    We use the Waves IR-1 reverb plug in and I think it sounds awesome and it's easy to use. This plug in is not cheap but it's worth it for recording.