Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reverend Fans! Factory Visit Rumour.......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rezdog, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    Right before Xmas I was down in Detroit for a visit. I dropped by the Reverend factory to give Joe Naylor a copy of my band's new album that's being released next month. My Brad Houser 5 is on all the tunes on this CD so I thought he might be interested.
    He had a minute to chat and I expressed my grief at not being able to get another bass or two before he shut down production of the bass line. I then asked him if he would consider doing limited runs of basses in the future. He mulled it over and started smiling. The point is the man did not say no. He didn't say yes either but from the smile on his face I did read a good chance of maybe...
    Now I've got to be careful cause I don't wanna put words in his mouth, but there was also some indication that if enough interest was expressed to him, and on the forums (reverenddirect,TB,etc) he would give it serious consideration. Another thing, if you see him at the trade shows chat him up. It can't hurt and it might even help to tip the scales. It would be nice to have a spring run of new Fish.
    Happy Times,
    Rezdog

2. I sold my Reverend a few months ago because I needed the money (and I had a custom 4-string on the way...). I had every intention of buying another when I could afford it. It probably wasn't a week after I shipped my bass when I received the news from Reverend... :(

3. That's good to hear, Rezdog. I've been hoping that down the line, he might build a bass here or there on special request from a dedicated customer like myself. :D
    Pretty cool that you got to visit the shop. I've only talked to Joe by phone and e-mail but he's always been real cool. I've gotta meet the master some day..

4. the real question is, will he build me a fretless?? :D

5. mielke

mielke

Nov 24, 2003
    I'd buy one if we could get the same price they used to be - for sure!

AM

6. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
  7. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I would be all over a black on black Houser.. especially if he'd swap out the neck J/J pickups for a P.

I'm in the similar boat of having been really close to pulling the trigger on one when the news came, so this is good to hear.

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Like he said. Build me a fretless BH5, and I'll spend some money. I dig the heck out of my 5L, and my BH5, but I want a crazy-topped fretless. Bring back turned aluminum, or some of those "spirograph" looking tops, and build me a frettless. Please! I'm begging!

9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I'd be all over a fretless Houser, too.
    Come on Joe, Please.

10. Assumer

Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    Arkansas
    I would love one but he never made them lefty :bawl:

11. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Any updates here?
    I saw a *brand new* 5L sell on ebay a few days ago for ~$450, from a shop called Palen Music, right near me.

Missed it by about an hour:(

I still want a fretless Rev...maple board please;)

12. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I thought they looked and sounded awesome...I just wish he built a 34" five string.

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I hope it's a false rumor, I don't need any more GAS. :p

14. +1

15. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    I talked to Joe Naylor at the Dallas Guitar Show last month, expressing my grief. I expressed my and others desires for a fretless Rev and he replied with a shrug. And they have gotten rid of maple necks as an option for their guitars, so I wouldn't expect to see one on a new bass. Consifering the trouble he has been having getting the import line of guitars up and running. I would say it would probably be at the very earliest 2 years before they might think about making new basses. But that would be highly optimistic.

I told Joe how I had one and sould it to buy a different one and he told me "better hang on to that one."

16. something tells me it's not going to happen anytime soon. Reverend dropped the "workhorse" guitar line, is raising the prices on the standard line, and is creating a budget import line, all to improve profit margins (or so I would assume). And apparently bass guitars as a whole were not too profitable for them.

17. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    When I saw that auction (a few hours after it'd finished of course) I considered driving down there and offering an extra couple hundred for it. I can't believe I missed it.

18. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    Oh man...