Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reverend Horton Heat

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Eyescream, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    They came back to Knoxville last night, and I went to see them put on their little show.

Spent the whole evening being reminded why Jimbo Wallace was the whole reason I wanted to get an upright and start learning how to play rockabilly in the first place. Damn, he's awesome (and nice, too; after they were done he hung around for a little bit thanking people for coming, I got got to shake his hand and do a little bit of hero worship).

I highly suggest you go see them if you ever get the chance.

2. Excelent band.

Superb live.

The show I went to, they were scheduled for an hour, and ended up playing a 2 hour set. :hyper:

mbelue likes this.
  3. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Yup, that's pretty much how it worked out here. On top of that, everybody in the band looked like they were genuinely glad to be doing what they were doing, and happy to see the crowd.

4. Years ago I lived above an "underground club" that was really cool. I occasionally did errands for the club owner. One day he asked me if I could drive to a hotel and pick up the Rev. So me and my Ford Taurus wagon chauffered the Rev back and forth to the bar and hotel. During the show the bar was WAY over their capacity and the crowd was shoving the PA stacks onto the stage. A couple of the guys and I had to hold the PA columns upright and I was right in front of Jimbo. He laughed at me. The Rev gave me a T-shirt for my troubles. I still have the T-Shirt and the slip of paper with his name and room number on it!

GregC and mbelue like this.
  5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Ive missed them twice.

I suck.

6. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Jimbo's a cool guy. Seen them a few times here in Dallas and they do put on a good show. Always hang around afterwards to talk. It was also pretty cool when I picked up Jimbo's old Mesa PH1000 cab. Still had all of their tour stickers on it.

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I've seen them three times and never been let down. They put on a great show, and seem like genuine, good people. They have a cool DVD out too.

8. I caught them almost everytime they played locally(Dallas/Fort Worth) for a few years. (Early to Mid 90's)

Which was once or twice a month. Don't listen to them much anymore, but they are in my top 5 all time influences. Seeing them made me switch from Metal to Rockabilly overnight and the rest is History.

I was a sinner till I saw Reverend Horton Heat.

Great Band.

GregC and mbelue like this.
  9. Cultman

Cultman

Mar 11, 2003
    I saw them a couple of months ago up in Washington State.

The Rev. Martin Luther would have been proud of the Rev. Horton Heat.

People from all walks of life were slamming in the pit like we were all brothers.

Great show. Love that guy.

M

10. ESPweasel

ESPweasel

Jan 6, 2016
    Charlotte NC
    The Rev resurrected.

Get to see him again tonight in San Jose. Should be a great show. 4 acts including Nashville Pussy :D

GregC likes this.
  11. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Nice! The Rev always delivers. Also on the bill for this tour is Unknown Hinson. If you're not familiar with him, make sure you get there early enough to catch him--he's an experience.:D

12. GregC

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    My wife and I are both big fans of the Rev, and of course Jimbo. Because of that, along with a growing affinity for Gretsch and GAS for another hollowbody, I bought this off TB last summer: A special Electromatic with pinstriping based on a custom design from Jimbo that was added for a giveaway at a festival where the band was playing.

[​IMG]

ESPweasel and ERIC31 like this.
  13. Fathand

Fathand

Sep 24, 2005
    Finland
    Reverend Horton Heat got me into psychobilly. Great band and based on some interviews I've watched cool people too.

Now that I'm back in the bass game I'll have to resurrect the idea of getting a dirt cheap upright for psycho-/rockabilly slapping..

14. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    They played 20 minutes down the road from me last night, and I couldn't go cos I had a sick 2 year old... big bummer

ESPweasel likes this.
  15. ESPweasel

ESPweasel

Jan 6, 2016
    Charlotte NC
    _____________________________________________________________________________
    "Unknown Hinson" was good but I didn't know he'd be playing with the Rev so much. NP wasn't there but these guys were great.
    Legendary Shack Shakers

GregC likes this.
  16. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Shack shakers were with them at the show I just missed at The Canyon Club

17. ESPweasel

ESPweasel

Jan 6, 2016
    Charlotte NC
    The front man's nucking futs. :D Bass player's good but he's no Jimbo.

18. GregC

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    The Shack Shakers are fantastic (and yes, the singer is nuts). Their bass player (and producer) for a long time, until a few months ago, was TBer dukeorock, who builds bass cabinets on the side. He's a cool dude. I haven't seen the Shack Shakers with the new guy yet.

ESPweasel likes this.