1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reverse the NEck Challenge!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hevy T, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Has anyone taken a Squier neck and put it on their fender and put the fender neck on the Squier and then do a test to with different players to see which one they liked more?

I would love to see what it would the results would be. I would love to but I am currently fenderless

2. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    bmp

3. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    What would the point of this test be?

4. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    To see if people really do listen with their ears or eyes. My bet is that you take two identical basses. One being a Fender and one being a Squier, keep everything the same but change the necks. I bet that the Squier with the Fender neck will sound better to most. Though the Fender with the Squier neck will sound cheap.

I personally think that lots of us (me included) are guilty of listening with our eyes.

5. Seems like a smart idea!
    I'd love to see what people's reactions are. ..

6. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Any takers?

7. sanderic

sanderic

Jun 3, 2011
    I own an American Standard Jazz and Precision. I also own a Squire VM Jazz fretless. The necks are not interchangeable. The heal of the Squire is larger than the American Standards.

8. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I think you're discounting the possibility that the neck has some actual impact on a bass's sound...

- georgestrings

9. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    It doesn't seem like a smart idea at all, to me - frankly, I don't care what people think about my instrument and gear choices...

IMO, this looks a bit like a troll thread...

- georgestrings

10. dcepeda

dcepeda

Nov 19, 2008
    Madrid, Spain
    Would't it be easier to cover the brand name (or names: i think you are forgetting the heel's plates amongst others) with duct tape? Just let them play with the logos covered and listen to their opinions.

I have seen many tests like that on Youtube (a good one with Telecasters comes to my mind), and they are pretty useful.

11. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    No because you will know which is which from the finishes on the necks. A VM neck don't feel like a MIM however a MIM feels close to a MIA. So by swapping the cheap neck with the more expensive one you get the feel of the cheaper neck and will equate that feel with the cheaper bass. Also the cheaper bass will then feel more expensive so it will sound better.

Yes you would also change knobs and neck plates etc... that have no bearing on the sound

12. A troll is someone who will make you angry for his own enjoyment, not attempt to waste your time.

13. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    By definition alone I am not trolling. I am wanting to conduct a little experiment about hearing with your eyes

14. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i'm sure you can apply for a grant from the government!

15. Dave Oliver

Dave Oliver

Jul 13, 2013
    I don't own either. If you went by looks alone, 2 of my basses are awful but they do sound incredible and play sweet! :bassist:[​IMG]

16. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Most people would know the bodies based on pickups, the bridge, knobs, etc as well

17. I agree with post #8
    The neck affects the sound and action....
    The better test is to remove the decals and let people do a head to head comparison.