1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Review: GHS Balanced Nickels 4M-NB

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Linnin, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Review: GHS Balanced Nickels 4M-NB

These are new roundwound bass strings from ghs. They are a pure nickel final wrap on a round steel core. There are a lot of new innovations in these new strings. First is that each string has two wraps on the core wire rather than the usual one for the G; two for the D & A and three for the E. Second is that each string has the very same number of wraps. This is significant. From the package we learn “This yields a tone that is deep but focused, with an extremely even response, no matter where you are on the fretboard. The end result is a balance between tension, flexibility, tonality and playability.

The 4M-NB set is: 0.044 G @ 47.5lbs; 0.060 D @ 46.1lbs, 0.080 A @ 45.8lbs, and a 0.106 E @ 44.8 for a total set tension of 184.2lbs and an average string tension of 46.05lbs. Most strings are well within a pound of tension of each other with the E being 1 and a quarter pounds off the average which just so happens to be 0.05lbs from the D string. So, yes, very well balanced indeed!

The proof is in the playing, and let me tell you straight away that the playing is good. The amount of finger pressure to intonate a note is so even from string-to-string on the same fret as to be imperceptible of any differences no matter how slight. String-to-string balance of tone and volume is as close to perfect as is humanly possible.

As the package states the “tone that is deep but focused”, and so it is. Not just a little, but a lot. The low end is excellent in every respect. It took some time for the E to settle in, but once it did the fundamental really opened up and roared to life. The other strings were just fine from the get go. The set settled in at about 10 hours of playing time.

The highs are plentiful and sweet and creamy like ice cream (but not sticky or melty). The high mids are rather unique in that they are mellow and smooth like a well-aged whiskey. And just like whiskey they are strong and powerful – an intoxicating force to be reckoned with. The low mids exhibit that classic ghs growl we all know and adore. The bottom end is deep; taut, and well-focused. The entire sound spectrum is broad and well amalgamated. There is nothing that overpowers or overshadows one nuance over another. In so many other roundwounds the total sound is wickedly awash in overtones so much so that the stringset is completely unfocused and whatever fundamentals there may be are drowned out. Not so with ghs Balanced Nickels. In fact they are a sonic lifesaver to pull your bass out of a sea roundwound mediocrity.

I will be posting updates and this stringset ages. As always I will attempt to keep track of playing hours, but will inevitably go astray. I will also post a head-to-head comparison & contrast with D’Addario EXL170BT.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    JulienP., russellh86, Helix and 30 others like this.
  2. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    JulienP., Pbassmanca, BrBss and 2 others like this.
  3. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    Awesome review, thank you!

On my set, the D string sounded a little untamed initially, but after a few hours, all was good.

Pbassmanca and Linnin like this.
  4. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    You are most welcome @trothwell. I woke up in a writing mood. I have been playing these strings almost constantly. I just leave my amp on all day and grab my bass and play whenever the desire struck. It's been a fun week!

Pbassmanca and Arthur U. Poon like this.
  5. You know what sucks?

Having a brand new set of BNs installed and ready to go on my P bass and not being able to play them for an entire week because of this...

kOhkMcz_HgTF8Fg1khuLQEn0mOSYTdoVrUUL3rcAanFDRjVWO2bw8BCucC0E2COCi0DjVW4TrYwVweHomJfxmcyg=s500-no.

6. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

MynameisMe, Pbassmanca, panm and 4 others like this.
  7. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Thanks for the review @Linnin.
    I'm thinking I'll try a set on my somewhat-overly-bright Jazz, next time I'm investing in a new set of strings.

Pbassmanca, madjazzbass and Linnin like this.
  8. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    I understand strings are expensive, especially these strings. I do my best to make my reviews accurate and valuable so you don't waste money $$$

Pbassmanca likes this.
  9. NKBassman

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I've followed yours and @michael_t 's advice on two other string experiments (GHS PWs and Precision Flats) and so far you haven't lead me astray. I just have like 4 unused packs of Dunlop Super Brights at home that I have to get through first. :p

10. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Good Lord! Sell them to someone that doesn't know any better. There are more repulsive stringsets, but not many.

11. NKBassman

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I'll respectfully disagree. I had a set on my P bass for a good 3-4 months of moderate-but-consistent use, and the older they got the better they sounded. I've never experienced that with roundwound strings before, so I kinda fell in love with them. I'm not liking them so much on my Geddy Lee jazz which is naturally very bright to begin with, but I also haven't been playing it enough lately to really break them in.

Selling the brand new unused sets here isn't a bad idea, but I'll probably just keep them in my gig bag in case I ever break a string live. Hasn't happened yet in 15+ years of playing, but there's a first time for everything. They're not really worth enough to bother paying for shipping across the border.

At the end of the day my GHS experiments have gone very well of late, and I see no reason to start doubting that now. So next time I'm buying strings I'll definitely be looking at more GHS.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  12. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Meh. Dunlop makes a tolerably good motorcycle tire. Electric bass guitar strings, not so much.

13. Eikari

Eikari

Jun 21, 2015
    Iceland
    My favourite roundwound so far have been Infeld Superalloy. How do they compare, if you have tried them both?

Pbassmanca and Arthur U. Poon like this.
  14. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    I have not. I tried Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats one time. Never again.

PawleeP and NKBassman like this.
  15. Eikari

Eikari

Jun 21, 2015
    Iceland
    The Infeld Superalloy are rounds, not flats. I assumed you knew that difference.

Joebone likes this.
  16. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Yes. Same Austrian company. No desire to waste even more money. Some love those strings (this is why they remain in business). I am not one. This thread is about a new, unique, and balanced pure nickel wrapped roundwound electric bass guitar stringset made in the United States of America . If I wanted to compare them to inferior foreign made stringsets, I would have already announced it.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    madjazzbass likes this.
  17. Eikari

Eikari

Jun 21, 2015
    Iceland
    They do have pure nickel top cover. Thats why i asked. Their longevity amazes me.

18. @Linnin you stayed these were pricey, as in how pricey? FWIW I'm a long time Bass Boomers user so these might be of interest to me assuming they're not too out of reach.

19. They're actually in the same price range as the Round Core Boomers.

Pbassmanca and EdO. like this.
  20. NKBassman

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada