Review: Rogers 5-string jazz bass (Ulyate pickups)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JiroBass, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Fodera

17.4%
  2. Sadowsky

17.4%
  3. F-bass

17.4%
  4. Ken Smith

8.7%
  5. Nordstrand

13.0%
  6. Mike Lull

4.3%
  7. Alleva Coppolo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Ritter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. MTD / Tobias

34.8%
  10. Sandberg

4.3%
  11. Pat Wilkins

8.7%
  12. Rogers

26.1%
  13. Mayones

8.7%
  14. Marco Cortes

4.3%
  15. Other (comment below)

17.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JiroBass

JiroBass

Jun 13, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I finally got to play two bass brands I'd only heard of, but had never played: a Rogers 5-string, and a Colibri 4-string jazz bass. Both exceeded expectations, so I thought I'd share some thoughts on them here. I'll discuss the Rogers here; my thoughts on the Colibri are in a separate post, here: This One Goes Up to 11 (Colibri Bass Review)

The Rogers 5-string jazz bass was a beauty, and the construction was really top-notch (pics below). I'd never played anything with such gorgeous top wood: it sported a Brazilian cinnamon imbuia top that definitely focused the sound. On the rear of the body, you can see the rich grain of the swamp ash. At just over 10 lbs., this thing definitely felt like a grown-up's instrument!

People with large hands would love this bass. The neck was 1 7/8" wide at the nut, so pretty wide. The string spacing at the bridge is 19mm, but it felt more like 20mm. Plenty of room for large hands to get in there and slap! However, the flat modern radius (it felt like a 12" radius) and relatively slim neck profile made it easy to get up and down the neck. It definitely made me want to try out my more challenging riffs and licks.

The current owner converted the bass into a passive instrument, with volume-volume-tone controls. In its current incarnation, it's equipped with hand-wound single coil jazz pickups from Howard Ulyate, who has been building amazing pickups for several brands in recent years (more on the pickups in my next review). What I heard in the current incarnation was lots of low mid-range punch and growl -- focused enough for soloing, but without getting too "nasal" in the mids. With both pickups up full and the tone wide open, the treble added some tasteful modern growl, but without the harshness of extreme highs.

Overall, the Rogers 5-string jazz bass is a beautiful, pro-level instrument with all the modern accoutrements! I hope to update this post with better pictures soon. Please feel free to respond to this thread with any similar experiences, or further thoughts on Rogers basses!

Disclosure: I'm not on the payroll of Rogers, Colibri, Ulyate, or the Bass Hang, and I've never received any merchandise from them. Thanks to Steve Araujo of The Bass Hang (The Bass Hang - Where Musicians Hang) for setting up this "test drive."

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  2. Great review and awesome write up my friend!! Such a fun hang and a great time playing some killer basses. It's always a pleasure hearing a great player playing killer basses.
    The two basses are my current go to gigging basses at the moment and they deliver every gig and recording session.
    Thanks again!!
    P.S. I voted Sandberg for the poll because I had never played one until recently and it really was impressive. Actually all of the basses in your poll are killer but my recent interaction with the Sandberg is still fresh.

eastcoasteddie and JiroBass like this.
  3. Bassworship1

Bassworship1

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I've played and owned a few boutique level basses and all have been good. Their has been 2 that has far exceeded my expectations in every way and that's my new Warrior basses. The build, feel, and tone just wows me every time I pick them up. IMG_0461.JPG IMG_0455.JPG IMG_0477.JPG IMG_0475.JPG

JiroBass likes this.
  4. My Zon Legacy, and a Wood and Tronics. Marco Cortes was at the last Seattle bass get together, and his stuff is really nice, too. His pickups are absolutely amazing. Regenerate guitar works is another.

JiroBass likes this.
  5. JiroBass

JiroBass

Jun 13, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Beautiful Warrior bass and great pics! I've heard of them, but I've never tried one. Thanks for posting!

campbems likes this.
  6. Bassworship1

Bassworship1

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    @JiroBass

I've wanted to try the RBass basses. I actually had one bought and the seller backed out 2 times lol. They look and sound nice.

JiroBass likes this.
  7. JiroBass

JiroBass

Jun 13, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Definitely agree that Marco's stuff is amazing. His 70's style jazz bass is built for slapping. Lots of growl and really low action! I had the pleasure of meeting him recently at Bass Player Live in Los Angeles. Great guy. Thanks for posting!

8. JiroBass

JiroBass

Jun 13, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    @campbems
    Sorry to hear that your deal that fell through. If you ever do get to try one, please write a blurb here and give us your thoughts.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    campbems likes this.
  9. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

May 12, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    I've owned two Rbasses both Singlecut. I sold the first one because the neck was unstable for my climate. At least that's the reason I thought. So I bought a second one with a thicker neck profile because I liked the construction quality of the first one I got. Previous owner butchered this bass. Tons of issues, $1600 of repairs later and still another issue with the neck. So... no more Rbasses for me. ( Not Rogers fault )

I bought Rbasses because members here were saying they were like Foderas quality without the butterfly. Some called them the poor mans Fodera.

Sorry......not even close....by a mile. Should have just saved longer and got a Fodera.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021