1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

revolution solo installation

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by unobasso, May 8, 2006.

1. unobasso

unobasso

Apr 16, 2006
    k/w, ontario
    I'm getting around to installing the revolution solo that I bought from jar240 and I'm wondering if I need a flat spot on the leg of the bridge as well as on the wing.

I've read the installation instructions but they don't mention doing any sanding to the leg but thought I'd just check here to confirm.

If any revo owners feel like posting a pic here of their bridge with the p/u removed, that'd be helpful. Post here or send to me at unobasso@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance!

ted harms.

2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004

I'd say, "No." Do not both creating a flat spot on the bridge leg. I do recommend that you flatten out the wing surface if it is sharply curved. I could post a pic if you wish, but seems unnecessary. PM me if you like.

3. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I am pretty happy with my install and pickup tone, and I only sanded the transducer. The leg on my bride is rather curved, like most bridges, but the wing is fairly flat. All in all, the leg contact is only about 50%, but it still a good snug fit and I'm happy with it.

4. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    I would agree w/ DRURB that as a general rule, a flat surface where your bridge contacts the pickup works better than curved.

However, I sanded both the bridge wing and leg in order to get the two surface planes as close to parallel as possible. In my case, I think doing so increased the surface area of the SOLO making contact with my bridge. Having fitted 3 SOLOs on the same bass, IME this has resulted in the strongest output signal and the best tone for my bass.

I will say that the pickup can work even when the surfaces of the wing and leg are not perfectly parallel. You'll have less surface area of the p/u making contact with the bridge on at least one side obviously, but I think as a general rule it can still work fine.

DRURB or anyone, did I make a mistake in sanding a little bit of the leg of my bridge to flatten it out?

5. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    Nope, I do it all the time. Our stock bridges have a VERY narrow gap...and I like to take a bit from the leg and the wing to make a good fit with lots of surface area.

6. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    ...from the horse's mouth! After all, Eric is the one who fit my Rev. Solo!

7. I´m planning to buy a Rev Solo. I´ve just started playing upright and the Solo seems to be a good choice. My bridge also has a VERY narrow gap and it isn't even. Since I'll have to sand the bridge I would like to know what would it be considered the perfect thickness for the revolution. I'm sure different results will be obtained wether the pickup is 4mm or 7mm.

Another thing: What is the diference between tight and snug? (Not too tight, not too loose! Sorry guys, I'm portuguese! Explain it in other words if you can)

I read in another thread that there is a rev solo II. What are the differences? Only output level?

Thank you very much.

8. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    David, as I understand it, in addition to providing more output, the new piezo element in the RS II transmits less infrasonics - really, really low frequencies that do more harm than good for amplified DB.

I've asked eroy if he would chime in too, so hang on for just a bit please if you don't mind. He can probably help you much more than I can with the explanation of the proper fit. Even I struggle to define "tight", "snug", "jammed", "nestled", and all the in betweens.

P.S. If you can go to "My TalkBass", and then fill in your Profile, we can all learn more about you, and perhaps help out even more. Welcome to TB!

9. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    Well, here is the official announcement on the RS2.

http://www.clefmusic.com/revolutionsolo.htm

David...the pickup doesn't seem to care what size it is, and the new RS2 element seems to care even less to thickness, and tightness for that matter. Take some time to true up your bridge wing/leg and then fit the pickup to that. You should need to push it in firmly, but not so firmly that you cannot pull it back out with a gentle twisting motion.

Let me know if you need more help. eroy@uptonbass.com