Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rewiring pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bogart, May 19, 2004.

1. bogart

bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca
    Ok. So, I understand Tim Commerford hand wraps his pickup wire. How intensive a project is this? I'm a former aircraft mechanic who has dealt extensively with wiring systems. So, I don't think this would be a problem for me

2. id imagine having patience is the most important thing about it, i would probly get pissed and tear all the wire and throw the pickup out the window cause it would take too long.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    It's my understanding handwound pups are not actually handwound, but feeding the winding is controled by hand. Also understand the major difference is the consistency factor. Variables common to handwinding such as loose tension can create a muddier tone, tight wrap cleaner, air gaps in the windings are believe by some to increase output. It may take a bunch of pups to get something you're looking for.

Would be interesting to know what your experience is.

4. Quality

Quality

May 7, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    I agree. Usually handwinding involves hand feeding the wire through a wind counter. we used to heve one of these where I work to make large capacitors. The winding has to be done almost perfectly for a pickup. Usually people that have done hand winding have done quite a few pickups before they find what they are looking for.
    Wire size and coil impedance is key.

5. bogart

bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca
    I'm already buying mim jazz pickups from ebay with these thoughts in mind. I am damn sure it will take several attemots to nail it down, and am prepared to do so. I will be more than happy to share the results here. Should be a few weeks though. ;)

6. Quality

Quality

May 7, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    Let us know the specs that work for you. I am interested in what works. By the way, What music style and tone style are you shooting for?