Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rex Brown

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Apr 25, 2005.

1. I've seen a few threads that metnion him(i did a search) but no thread specifically about him, so I thought I'd start one. I like some of his lines, they carry the song, and his tone is immene. How does he get that really round punchy tone?

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I guess he's ok, but I own 3 Pantera albums and I think one has to agree that Pantera is carried by Dimebag (rip) and Vinnie Paul.

Here is his rig http://guitargeek.com/rigview/420/

Spector, Ampeg and some effects

3. Why does he have a bass tuned down '1 and a 1/4' step? And how do you tune to a quarter step? :-S

4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Some bands like to do that. I don't know why but it makes it bloody irritating to play along with. The tuning down isn't that hard it think with a good tuner...

5. I suppose. But why a quarter step? Surely that makes everything not quite ever a propper note.

6. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    He plays some interesting stuff but he mostly plays along with Dime and doesn't do too many fills.

Give the band Crowbar a shot that's his current project, as well as Down. He gets to come out a bit more in Down I think