Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rhonda Smith (Merged)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by cassanova, Nov 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I was watchin the Prince concert on DTV today and never heard of this woman before. Shes one very talented musician. I really liked the versatility she showed, laying down something really funky one tune, then going to a walking jazz line the next. It IMO seemed like she knew just the right line to lay down and when. This woman is definatly a great player.

Just curious to know what others thoughts & opinions on her are.

2. I also saw the DTV concert with Prince and, although I’ve heard Rhonda Smith before, I was real impressed with her playing in that concert. Like you said, she knew just the right line to lay down at the right time. I was also impressed with her intonation on the EUB.

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Is that the show Prince did in Vegas last year?
    I recently picked up his Vegas DVD, and Rhonda & drummer John Blackwell just smoke!!!! Prince sure knows how to lead a band!!:bassist:

4. She was definitly ON! That girl is awesome!

Prince is a sick guitar player too!

5. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    If I could have a date with anyone, it would be here. Ok I know she can play, love her lines. But DAMN, is there anyone hotter?

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

She's a monster on the bass and she's fine!!

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    C'mon now children, lets keep the she's fine, etc stuff to ourselves. It has no relivence to the topic at hand.

Thank you
    Mama Cass

8. hmjuice

hmjuice

May 20, 2000
    Austin, TX USA
    Did anyone watch the tonight show last night? Rhonda was killing it on that Fender Jazz. It sounded great.

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Prince & Co. were also on VH-1 last Sunday night(RnR HOF Ceremony).

Prince Live At The Aladdin, Las Vegas DVD may be of interest to you.

10. No, but I did see the RnR Hall of Fame ceremony. Her tone was great! Is she using a vintage J, or is it one of the new active ones?

11. hmjuice

hmjuice

May 20, 2000
    Austin, TX USA
    I think I'll look up that live DVD. I have his Rave into the year 2000 DVD but that one has Larry Graham playing bass. If it's any where near as good as that one it'll be worth it.

I saw the re-run of the RnR Hall of Fame Ceremony. She's using the same jazz in both. It looks like a new one.

12. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I saw that. They aired it again just the other night. I really love the way Ms. Smith plays the bass. Theres also a write up about in her one of the Fender Bass Street or Frontline flyers. Its a good read.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.