Rhythm chart question

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Jeb, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    2 questions:

I have a rhythm chart for "Its the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" for a Christmas program.

At measure 65 (6/8 time) it reads "even 8ths." Am I right in assuming that I have 12 note choices per measure here?

In the key of Db, whats your approach to a Edim7/G chord? In the key of C - F#dim7? (Sorry, thats 3 questions!)

2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    6/8 = SIX 1/8th notes per bar.
    To me, you would have 6 note choices, not 12.
    The "even" thing to me means play each with equal/"even" note duration(i.e. maybe not staccato) & not 'swung'.
  3. JMX said it there are 6 choices

Also when reading 6/8 time you can think've a eight note as a quarter note so youré thinking in the lines of two bars of 3/4
    ie: 1,2,3 - 4,5,6

Edim7/G chord- I'd play G
    F#dim7- I'd play the chord tones ( 1,b3,b5,bb7 ) although you can play passing notes as well provided there's enough bars
  4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    That seems like kind of a goofy (or, at least, needlessly fussy) way to notate that chord. Edim7 already has a G in it, and Gdim7 has the same notes, enharmonically speaking, as Edim7. So off the top of my head I can't think of any reason not to call the chord Gdim7 and forget the slash. The root would be G, and the other chord tones would be Bb, Db, and E (technically Fb for a Gdim7 chord, but no one I know really enjoys thinking about Fb if they don't have to;) ).