1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rhythm chart question

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Jeb, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    2 questions:

I have a rhythm chart for "Its the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" for a Christmas program.

At measure 65 (6/8 time) it reads "even 8ths." Am I right in assuming that I have 12 note choices per measure here?

In the key of Db, whats your approach to a Edim7/G chord? In the key of C - F#dim7? (Sorry, thats 3 questions!)

Thanks!

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    6/8 = SIX 1/8th notes per bar.
    To me, you would have 6 note choices, not 12.
    The "even" thing to me means play each with equal/"even" note duration(i.e. maybe not staccato) & not 'swung'.

3. JMX said it there are 6 choices

Also when reading 6/8 time you can think've a eight note as a quarter note so youré thinking in the lines of two bars of 3/4
    ie: 1,2,3 - 4,5,6

Edim7/G chord- I'd play G
    F#dim7- I'd play the chord tones ( 1,b3,b5,bb7 ) although you can play passing notes as well provided there's enough bars

4. That seems like kind of a goofy (or, at least, needlessly fussy) way to notate that chord. Edim7 already has a G in it, and Gdim7 has the same notes, enharmonically speaking, as Edim7. So off the top of my head I can't think of any reason not to call the chord Gdim7 and forget the slash. The root would be G, and the other chord tones would be Bb, Db, and E (technically Fb for a Gdim7 chord, but no one I know really enjoys thinking about Fb if they don't have to;) ).