1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rhythm guitarist for praise group being weird!!!!

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Johnny StingRay, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Johnny StingRay

Johnny StingRay

Nov 24, 2006
    He's pointing his Behringer acoustic amp directly at my GK MB112????? ***??? And he plays a Carvin CT624 through a Behringer amp???? Is he being an idiot or what?? He points his amp away from him at me. Not at the congregation. We are a praise group. I put my GK MB112 way back from me and they pissed and moaned that my cords to my bass and the mixer would cause someone to trip. I said, I put it back so it wouldn't feed off of the guitar amp......he didn't take the hint...........screw this. How stupid are you to purposely aim an amp 180 degrees away from the audience and directly at your bass player????? and this dude is an auto engineer!!!! I've been with them for 10 years and if this nonsense keeps up........I'll join a jazz group.....more fun anyway......Catholic praise music is boring anyway.......just frustrated that's all.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Maybe things'll get better with a new Pope.

3. Hawkbone

Hawkbone

Mar 23, 2009
    Newfoundland
    lol

4. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    If I owned a behringer amp, I wouldn't want anyone to see it either. The fact that he exposed his shameful secret with you means he must really trust you.

Just tell him to do 50 hail Mary's and buy a different amp.

5. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    He probably can't hear himself with it facing away so just unplug the bloody thing or sabotage his cables.

6. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Now a local dispute over amp placement, perhaps the Pope won't make a difference however..

Seriously though there is control over what music and specific instruments are featured, or given the place of pride if possible. A Pope can declare that a source other then the European sacred music roots can be used as the preferred and he can have influence over the acceptable instrumentation for sacred music used during services. Admittedly some local churches would be quicker to accept change just as they do now with a more , lets call it traditional reading of what is and what is not acceptable by the head of the church. And with a possible change in church culture because of a Pope's known preferences a difference in musical attitudes may filter down the ranks

7. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Or he (the OP) could do a hail Mary with the amp hoping no one will catch it....

8. Maybe a little less playing music in church and a little more listing to the message would do you all some good :)

9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Um..... I'm going to try not to break any rules here. Perhaps, being that you are in a CHURCH, you could try having a calm, rational DISCUSSION with him? Is that out of the realm of possibilities? You know, perhaps calmly and simply express your frustration over the amp being pointed at your head? It's what some grownups do. Perhaps you could give that a shot rather than venting on an internet forum.

10. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I didn't know all of this scandalous behavior was happening in the praise groups for shame I say.

11. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    huh?

so your amp wouldn't "feed" off his amp? what does that even mean?

anyway, a simple "dude, point that thing somewhere else, please" at the moment he put it there should have been sufficient.

as an "acoustic amp", it should be pointed up right at him, and turned down; it's just a monitor, really.

maybe you can block it off with a guitar case or something so it's not blasting you anymore.

12. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Forgive..........or perhaps rather than turn the amp, turn the other cheek...?

13. ... maybe he thinks he'll get a better sound for the audience by bouncing off the wall?

there may be a bible verse that addresses this.

14. brianerwin

brianerwin

Oct 21, 2012
    Cheap Shot!!!!! But I like it!! LOL!!

15. ABravado

ABravado

Jul 7, 2010
    I think he meant so that it wouldn't cause feedback.

But I agree with one of the above sentiments. It's a church. There should be some implied politeness and respect in there. (Right? haven't been in one in a bit but from what I hear...)Just talk to him about it.

16. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Awww come on. You mean to tell us in all his days Jesus never cracked a joke about Behringer gear?

17. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I got that but what does it mean? If it's causing his guitar to feed back then he's playing too damn (sorry) loud, or he has crappy gear, or both. Point your bass amp right at him and turn up. That'll show him! :D

18. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods!

Your not supposed to say "Screw" in a praise/worship band, are you? You are supposed to say fornicate!
    :bag:

19. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Ironically, the word "Nailed" is surprisingly ok!

:bag: I'm going to hell aren't I?

20. english4bw

english4bw

Feb 5, 2011
    Toronto
    Tell the worship leader/music director.
    Be honest. But don't be overly emotional.
    Forgive this guy, let it go.
    Remember; Church isn't about making music, it's about worshipping God.
    Having said that, you should still be comfortable in the environment so that you can be free to worship. So deal with it and be firm. But let the anger go. Won't do you any good to be angry.
    Solve it. Don't dramatize it. ;)

and yeah... then go over and recite the Chaplet of Divine Mercy whilst lighting a candle in remembrance of when Behringer made anything half-decent (which is never). LOL:p