1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rib Bumpers

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by pnchad, Aug 26, 2012.

1. pnchad

pnchad Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2005
    Hello Community,

Who knows the best wood and attachment method to put them little bumpers on the ribs to prevent wear?

I've started seeing them more over the years and need to stop wearing out my edges.

Are they typically hide glued?

thanks!

2. powerbass

powerbass Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    I used contact cement and leather bumpers.

3. Leather or felt might be a good choice as they are more flexible and less likely to bump off than carved wood ones. (expand+contract at different rates during season changes etc) Until you fix on something nice, you can try out the "floor saver" stick-on felts one buys at the dollar store.

something like..

http://windsorplywood.com/Protective_Felt_Floor_Savers.aspx

but in a complimentary colour for your bass.

4. pnchad

pnchad Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2005
    TB

thanks all!

5. Kai Sanchez

Kai Sanchez Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2006
    Miami
  6. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Bryan, TX
    Me too...they're flexible, durable, and work well!

7. I use the fan belt method which I learned on these forums and they work fantastically.

View attachment 286009

8. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

Feb 9, 2009
  9. jdepriest

jdepriest

Sep 20, 2005
    Waynesburg, Pa
    I have these too. they've been solid for 3 years so far.

10. A section-mate uses this door-edge molding on his new Arvi:

Its available at auto-parts stores. He fit it over all four bouts...it protects the edges and it looks kinda cool too. I'll try to get a pic next time I see him (and his Arvi).

11. gprigge

gprigge

Dec 19, 2007
    Rice Lake, Wis.
    Do the Gohilur bumpers hurt the finish if they have to come off?

12. SodaCity bass

SodaCity bass Bartolini Artist, MTD Artist, LaBella Artist

Aug 4, 2011
    Blythewood, SC
    Yes. They are made to be permanent, so it's more than likely.....even says that it in description :)

13. Nathan Levine

Nathan Levine Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Anchorage, AK
    Coolest bumpers I have seen are made of leather, and if I understand the installation process correctly, thin leather strips are attached to each edge before varnishing. Once varnish is applied they pretty much disappear. No pictures unfortunately.

14. gerry grable

gerry grable Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Specifically, Paul Warburton introduced them on TB and they do work. However, if I am seeing your pic clearly, you used notched fan belts. I think P.W. suggested smooth, unnotched belts. Also, I believe he used hide glue.
    Of course the notched belts will work great for outdoor gigs in snow country :D

15. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

Oct 8, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Ditto, from Golihur.

16. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

Oct 8, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Yes, so I peeled of the factory adhesive and used contact cement.

17. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Contact cement won't take finish if they come off? You took off the white strip? Did it just peel off?

18. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

Oct 8, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Two different luthiers independently suggested contact cement. Yes, the contact cement peels off my finish without leaving a trace.

To remove the agressive, factory-supplied adhesive, I scraped off the 3M adhesive on the Golihur bumpers, washed the rest of the glue off with a little lacquer thinner (wearing protective) gloves, let them dry, dyed them to match my bass a bit better, then used the contact adhesive.

To control the glue on my bass' ribs, I held the bumpers in place, then set masking tape just inside of the bumpers perimeters. In other words, I masked rectangles on the ribs, slightly smaller than the bumpers, then applied adhesive to both these rectangles (on the bass) and the bumpers. Then I let the cement get tacky, removed the masking tape, and pressed the bumpers into place.

Before gluing them on, I also shaved two of the bumpers and built up the thickness of the other two, to accommodate the varying reveal between my ribs and the top/back, as well as to compensate for a twist in my bass. In other words, although my bass is slightly twisted, it sits evenly on a flat surface because I varied the bumpers' thickness.

The whole thing was pretty painless and took about 1 1/2 hours, even with the leveling/shaving/gluing up of the bumpers. Tools/supplies used were: masking tape, contact cement, a razor knife (for splitting some bumpers to the right thickness), Titebond (for leather-to-leather bumper buildup/lamination; gluing the waste from two bumpers onto the other two), lacquer thinner, leather dye, shoe polish, a flat surface large enough to lay my bass, paper towels, gloves, tape measure, and a pencil. If I can do it, anyone can...

19. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Thanks, Eric. Sounds like a project! Good to know if my bumpers fall off...

20. gprigge

gprigge

Dec 19, 2007
    Rice Lake, Wis.
    Thanks. I've been hesitant to use bumper strips for fear of hurting the finish. I might go that route now.

I usually bring along a cheap braided rug to lay my bass on. It always reminds me of a kindergartner at nap time.