1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

rick push-pull mod pics

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dane22, Jun 10, 2011.

1. dane22

dane22

Dec 21, 2010
    I've got a '05 4003 without the push-pull. I had a local "tech"install a push-pull tone pot. It was not a ric pot and stuck out WAY too much. Also, There seemed to be no difference in the tone , up or down. I had the guy take it out ( and buff out the scratches that he put on the bass). I bought the "Ric" pot and cap. I can handle small soldiering jobs but I don't understand the diagram that was sent. Does anyone have pics of the pot installed or an easy explanation? Tried searching the site. I think "Joeys" is the same diagram.
    Thanks,
    Danny

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    ric-cap-wiring.

Does this make sense? This is the push/pull switch. Note the jumper across the bottom two terminals. When pushed in, it bypasses the cap. Pulled out you have the vintage setting. If you want it the other way around (pulled for modern), move the jumper to the top terminals.

The idea of the push/pull is to introduce a .0047µF can in line with the treble pickup. This cab removes the low frequencies from the pickup. Then when both are used together you get the classic Ric tone instead of the newer fuller Ric tone.

3. dane22

dane22

Dec 21, 2010
    The other connections to the pot are as the original, correct?

4. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

Yes

5. dane22

dane22

Dec 21, 2010
    Thanks, Guys!!!!

6. calebbarton

calebbarton

Aug 25, 2007
    Oregon
    I manufacture for several companies including but not limited to: Bridge City Sound, Catalinbread, more.
    Wow he scratched the bass while installing pots? Suck....Thats kind of retarded.

7. dane22

dane22

Dec 21, 2010
    I wanted to kill the guy! The bass was like new. At least the scratches were not through the clearcoat and buffed out.