1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rickenbacker 4001 Truss

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Jared92, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Jared92

Jared92

Nov 1, 2007
    Fairfax VA
    Sorry to bother you guys again about my Rick. But after close examination, and a straight edge. It looks like my neck bends a tad up ward 1-5. What is the best way to tackle this. Step by step. Joeys notes did not help me here.

Thanks SO much!

2. Is it causing a problem?

Joey's notes say the neck should be flat - which I was suggesting to my guitar tech ( & I actually printed that page out and gave it to him) - but he disagreed, saying: "it still needs to obey the laws of physics." ie: a bit of relief is a good thing.

There was a couple of things he disagreed with; and when you've been building and setting up guitars for nearly 40 years- who am I to argue? He did a great job on my 4001.

3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    Try flat first ... but some Rics play better with a little curve ...

For a 4001 loosen and or remove the strings. Loosen the truss rod nuts. Then set up the neck flat and tighten the rods. You sorta need 3 or 4 hands to do this.

On a 4003 the rods move the neck like a normal bass.

4. Jared92

Jared92

Nov 1, 2007
    Fairfax VA
    Well I have buzz on almost all lower frets.
    Is loosening turning counter clockwise?

5. adepagter

adepagter

Mar 27, 2009
    You don't want too much relief in the neck, but there does need to be some. If you look down and play your open E, no matter where you pluck it, the string vibration movement is in the middle of the string ... close to where that relief is. If the neck is ruler flat, that sustain is gone. OK for shredders, but rock, blues, and jazz all require a little relief in the setup.