1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rickenbacker 4003 neck&truss rod problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ulgen, Mar 29, 2014.

1. ulgen

ulgen

Mar 9, 2014
    Hi, new to this forum and this is my first post. Any kind of help is appreciated..

I have a 99' rickenbacker 4003 and until now I have been adjusting the truss rods by myself when it was needed thanks to some web sources like joey's bass notes.

However this time I have a problem that I think I am not able to solve by myself. There is something like a small 'bump' between 5th and 7th frets under E string, that causes problems while I am playing on e and a strings. There is no problem G side of the neck tough. However I am not able to lower strings they seem so high now.

The main problem is that I don't know any luthier here in Istanbul that I can trust enough to leave my guitar.

So far, I tried to changed the strings with lighter ones, I don't know if it was the right action to be taken, but I had rotosound strings with I guess the gauge of .110 on E, now I have d'addario cb80 that has a gauge of .095 in order to reduce the tension on the neck, which didn't solve the problem, then I completely loosened all the strings and both truss rods, waited around two days, but still that bump, that ''S''shape was there on the E side.

So now considering that I don't have access to a rickenbacker master luthier, I'd really appreciate your comments about solving this problem, if I can do it by myself!

Thanks a lot!

2. jamesCD

jamesCD

Dec 7, 2013
    Huntsville, AL
    Luthier: Carrigan Designs
    Can you post some pictures of the problem? This will make it a lot easier for one of us to help you.
    My wife and I were in Istanbul back in 07. Spent a week there. A great town with a lot of friendly people. Had some of the best seafood ever at a restaurant at the Galata bridge.

3. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    Truss rod adjustment is unlikely to help with a bump or twist on one side of a fret board. Is the bump in the wood or the fret?

4. ulgen

ulgen

Mar 9, 2014
    Hi, I am really glad that you enjoyed Istanbul, and I hope there will be a second time for you to explore there more!

Actually at the moment I am not near to my bass, I had to come back to my hometown because we have the elections tomorrow, on monday I will be able to post some pictures.

But If I am to describe it more, there is no tension on the neck, on the E side there is a forward bow like a bump between 5th and 7th frets, so there is an S shape and G side seems to have so much relief.

I will upload some pictures asap! Thanks

5. ulgen

ulgen

Mar 9, 2014
    The bump seems to be on the wood I am afraid