Rickenbacker 4003 pick-up pole pieces?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fakeneckplate'65, Nov 22, 2017.

1. How many of you that have a post 2006 Rickenbacker 4003, adjust the pole pieces to the radius of the fretboard?

I adjusted the poles of the front pickup to 10/64" & the poles of the bridge pickup to 13/64" respectively.

2. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Not sure if my tech adjusted the pole pieces when he did the setup on my 4003S (needed a new setup due to changing to BEAD tuning). Sounds perfect, though.

3. When I checked mine, the A & D string poles were between 3/64" & 4/64" further from the strings than the E & G.

It did occur to me that on my jazz bass, thunderbird etc, that the pole pieces are not adjustable, there for not the same distance from the strings either.

Korladis likes this.
  4. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Yeah. I don't worry about it much. My T-bird's pickups don't even have pole pieces, as they're blade style pickups under the cover.

5. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    I left my pole pieces alone. Raise them with restraint. If you raise them too much, they will begin to lose their magnetic strength which they get from the bar magnet underneath. Sort of a Catch 22.

6. Hmm, admittedly, I am very ignorant of pickup construction.

I feel like the bass sounds a little more " tone-ful " to me anyway. Unless of course it's a placebo.

7. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    If it sounds good, great! That’s all that counts!

8. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    Don't worry, so are Rickenbacker in the main. :D

blindrabbit likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 28, 2022