Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rickenbacker 4003

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Krinkle5, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Krinkle5

Krinkle5

Feb 16, 2006
    I just got a rickenbacker 4003 jetglo bass, and i love the way it sounds and play. I was undecided between a musicman (sterling) because of the 3 band eq. and a rickenbacker, but I decided to go with the rickenbacker but now i am reading that rickenbacker is making terrible guitars with warped necks, and faulty finishes can anyone tell me about this? please

2. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Where did you read this exactly?

IMO, Rick's quality is far superior to any other "mass produced" instrument such as Fender, Gibson or even EB.

I own a recent model 4003 and it's great.

3. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx

I agree. Rickenbacker has one of the best reputations for consistant quality instruments in the industry. I've never touched one that was a dud and have had moine since 77 without any problems.

4. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    The finish problem is apparently only a Midnignt Blue issue for instruments made over a short period of time and the only neck warp complaint I have read about recently is a mid-'90's 4004 that no one knows the prior history of. Quality is typically excellent on Rics so I wouldn't worry.

Enjoy your 4003 and congrats!

5. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005

+ a bazillion!

I just bought a 4003 jetglo and have seen nor had any problems with it.

Some of the neck problems may come from the dual truss rods NOT being adjusted properly thus resulting in a twisted neck, YES you can force a twist in them if you aren't schooled in the methods of adjusting dual truss rods.

I think some of these myths, yes I'll call them myths, came about due to the failure to properly maintain a fantastic instrument.

6. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    Having to hold the neck in the desired position and popping off fretboards is a 4001 issue. The 4003 rods can be adjusted like any other bass....it wouldn't hurt to position the neck first but it is not necessary. The dual rods can twist the neck but as long as they are adjusted gradually/evenly it should not be an issue. Plus with the dual rods a twisted neck can generally be easily corrected.

7. Bob the Bass

Bob the Bass

Aug 13, 2004
    UK
    I own two 4003s (a Jetglo and a Blue Boy), and have a
    4003FL in Blueburst on order.
    The build quality is second to none - these are the finest basses on the planet. There is an issue with the Midnight Blue & Rickenbacker have resolved it & will re-finish any bass that was bought legit.
    The neck warp issue is ancient history.
    Trust me, you have made a wise purchase which you will not regret !! :bassist:

8. Ricks rule.

Just don't bring a 4003 to a jazz ensemble; it's a jazz ensemble, not the meeting of the gods of thunder and lightning...

9. CWK

CWK

Jun 9, 2005
    South Centeral Pa.
    Nice troll.;)
    Ricks are Ricks.
    *but I decided to go with the rickenbacker but now i am reading that rickenbacker is making terrible guitars with warped necks, and faulty finishes can anyone tell me about this?*
    Well That is rich$$.
    How about playing your Rickenbacker for awhile and give yourself a review.If I sound a little skeptic of your post it's because I am.
    No Offense
    Bill

10. I used to hear the same thing about Ricks... from people who were pretty clueless...

The old 4001 truss rod design, and the lack of knowledge in how to adjust them probably was a major contributor to this poorly-construed image of Ricks

11. anyonefortennis

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    As far as the midnight blue issue, I have one of those and Ric refinished it for me for no charge.

I will get it in the mail tomorrow so I'll let you know how that goes. This was a problem with the blue pigment color that was quickly resolved after a few people came up with "bleeding" finishes.

12. anyonefortennis

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    LOL! I think that will be my new sig quote :)

13. so would any of you guys with ricks out there go for a vintage model rather than a new one? I've got serious gas for a 4003 fireglo at the mo....but I'd also like a 5 string version if I could get one.....amyone know anything about that possibility?

14. I love my 4003 Maple Glo I have had it for a little over a year and have no complaints except one....whenever I pick it up I have a hard time putting it down, which leads to late nights and a disappointed wife

15. Despite my status as Rick obsessive, I have to say the 5-string 4003 was one of the most disappointing basses I have ever played. The shorter scale makes for a lamentable B, and the string spacing was horribly cramped.
    Just one of those basses that wasn't ment to be I suppose...:rollno:

16. sublimate

sublimate

Jan 12, 2006
    This guy will make you a 5-string from a 4-string Ric. He does very good work. But yes, the spacing is understandably tight.
    http://www.3dentourage.com/425/425.htm
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

17. CWK

CWK

Jun 9, 2005
    South Centeral Pa.
    With all due respect to K5 and to end this thread;Rickenbacker
    is top hat.Hell,somtimes J Hall himself might respond to a post
    if a question is asked in a manner that would warrent a unique
    response.
    /I'm pooped
    //slashies are free today
    /////more slashies!!!!!1eleventy!11!!
    Bill

18. hmmm...not sure I like the idea of that! looks very cramped on the finger board and there's something just not right about that extra tuner position

did someone mention they did attempt a 5 string version though? I've never spotted one and didn;t find a reference on teh rickenbacker site to it.....

19. Krinkle - I don't know where you are getting your negative information on the Ricks, but I know that I still gig with the 4001 I bought in 1978 (still with all original parts and no problems).

20. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    RIC did indeed make a 5-string version of the 4003S, but I, like many others, didn't really take to it. They basically put 5 strings on a neck that was barely wider than their 4 string, and it felt a little cramped. That model was discontinued some years back. RIC had started building a 5-string version of the 4004 (with a wider string spacing), but those are on hold while they work out some issues. So right now, they don't really make a 5-stringer. :meh:

Regarding those 4 to 5 conversion basses... it's certainly within his right to modify his own basses as he sees fit, but it makes me cry a little on the inside. :(