1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rickenbacker/Ashdown Problem

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by coop1985, Apr 16, 2010.

1. coop1985

coop1985

Apr 16, 2010
    I have recently bought a Rickenbacker 4003 and an Ashdown ABM 210 500w EVOII combo with Ashdown ABM 115 Extension cab and I'm really disappointed with the sound that I am getting. The volume isn't anywhere near what you would expect. I am unsure whether this is due to the size of the practice room, the amp or the guitar... Or a combination of all 3. I have been considering changing the pickups in the Rickenbacker or swapping it for something like a Fender Precision, but don't know if this will help. I've also considered switching amps, but feel I should get some advise before I waste any more money.

I want a really full, fat, deep bass sound that you can feel, rather than a twangy sort of Joy Division sound.

The music I play has been compared to Snow Patrol, The National and Explosions In The Sky.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

2. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    What bass did you play before you got your Rick? Does the volume louder when you was on your old bass? Also was you using this amp all the time?

3. Rickenbacker is known for a very midrangey sound. That Joy Division sound is very much the rick sound. Its not full, fat OR deep. I think getting a Fender Precision is definately a step in the right direction for you.

-RTK

4. coop1985

coop1985

Apr 16, 2010
    I used to use an old Epiphone Thunderbird with a Peavey TNT150 and it wasn't quite loud enough. So I bought the Ashdown rig and the Rickenbacker in an attempt to get a better sound all round, but the Ashdown didn't seem to be any louder despite the 350w difference. I'm going to try the Thunderbird out with the Ashdown tonight to see if there is any difference in volume, but thought i'd post something on here to see what people thought.

5. coop1985

coop1985

Apr 16, 2010
    Thanks for your replies. Is there much difference between the Fender J and P?

6. The Thunderbird should be good as well. Watts dont have as much influence on volume as total speaker surface area does.

-RTK

7. Um I'll swap you a fender P. for the rick, if thats what you really want to do.

8. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Alot of things to do with volume ......... sometimes is not all about watts. My Little Mark 250 (250watt) can blow any 500watt Ashdown in term of volume easily when using same cabs.

It depend what EQ settings you dail in to your ashdown. If you dail tones of bass and scoop all the mid then of course you will lack of volume, mid is what bring you the volume. Also different bass will need depend gain set on the amp.

Also sounds like you don't really like the Rick. I guess a Fender P will do the trick for you if you want that deep fat tone with some growl into it.

9. Yes.
    and i think you would prefer the P based on what youve said here.
    You should take your amp into a guitar center or whatever and try out as many basses as you can to get a feel for how each one sounds.

-RTK

10. coop1985

coop1985

Apr 16, 2010
    Thanks for that, I'll try upping the mid. I've been playing with a "smiley" EQ. High bass, low mid and high top end. You think if I invert it then, this will help??
    In terms of speaker surface area, I use 2x10" and a 1x15. Shouldn't this be blowing my face off??
    I LOVE my Rick!!! But I suppose, like a woman, if she isn't putting out, then you have to get rid!! lol

11. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Ok, here is the thing you can try. First set all EQ flat on both bass and amp (This means turn off the deep switch as well). Play the bass with flat setting and see what you think is lacking. I say cut some upper mid off and boost low mid instead. Add some bass and treble if needed.

Also the smiley face EQ to me means boost low and hig and scoop all the mids. This means it will probably sound good at home with plenty of bass etc but when you in a band, high chance you will get loss in the mix.

12. Laklandnext

Laklandnext

Mar 15, 2010
    Think about it, any skilled(I mean really skilled) pro bassist uses Rickenbacker? I bet not many of you can name one just in few secs

13. Laklandnext

Laklandnext

Mar 15, 2010
    OK cliff burton, after few secs of thinking......

14. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    Uh-oh.. Hopefully nobody sees this thread :p

But yeah, from what you have said I also reccomend a P, if you don't want a Joy Division sound, don't use a rick ;)

Im sure you can find someone to take the rick of your hands though. That or swap it for a Gibby T-Bird.

15. coop1985

coop1985

Apr 16, 2010
    Thats great advise, thanks!!
    So on a dial, I take it that "flat" is at 12 o'clock? And totally turn the bass volume off on the guitar. And im looking at a sort of wave EQ if that makes sense?
    Thats exactly whats happening i'm getting lost in the mix. Signing up to this site is the best thing i've ever done! Nice one!!
    I'll try it out tonight and see what happens!! :D

16. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    Paul Mccartney
    Peter Hook
    Cliff Burton

I could come up with a lot more if I had time to think ;) John Entwistle used them for a while too iirc.

17. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    Thats what I said at first. Then the GAS hit.. then I got into building..

Then I found OT..

:D:D:D

18. Paul McCartney, Geddy Lee, Chris Squire...and that was just the first second.

19. I blame the ashdown! Personally i think they are horrible, couldnt get one to sound the way i want!
    I use my Ric with a boogie walkabout 12 and it gets really deep and full, probably not as much as a jazz bass but pretty fat!

20. coop1985

coop1985

Apr 16, 2010
    GAS? OT??