1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rickenbacker bass on jazz/funk gig, check this out!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bobyoung53, Oct 1, 2017.

1. I apologize if any of you have already seen this but this guy can really play, all around excellent band but I did post this here because how often do you get to hear someone funking up a Rick bass?.

wmmj, 12BitSlab, Mr_O'B and 26 others like this.
  2. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Sounds good too!

3. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Thanks for that, Bob. Johnny Lee Long is awesome. A font of good will and joy in living, he is a seemingly ironic ambassador for funky Rickenbacker bass:

To your point about "how often", I think that you do have to go back to the Rick James years to find a density of funk or funky dance bands that featured a Rickenbacker bass.

1.jpg

4. PaperbackRyder

PaperbackRyder Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Maynard, MA
    FWIW the bass in the video is modded, maybe has a pre amp. Selector switch is a knob. At the end he turns it down, leading my deductive powers to conclude it is likely a master volume. Whatever, it sounds great and he plays a monstah.

Michael Schreiber and bobyoung53 like this.
  5. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Smooth, sweet and nice, real nice. :cool:

bobyoung53 likes this.
  6. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    "WAR PAINT! You know what that means? It's been to war!" hehe. Infectiously up, and I'm a "down" kinda guy.

andruca likes this.
  7. clivem

clivem Guest

Dec 1, 2016
    No interest in Rics...... I just want to know where I can buy a pair of those red boots! ;)

8. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Wasn't as into it as I'd thought I'd be. Either I don't know what a Ric is supposed to sound like or it was trying to sound like something it isn't-- a Ray.

2:48-3:00 was really tasty, however. Loved those long notes. Playing and band were fine, just wasn't in love with that bass tone.

9. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    My first band (1977-78) played that song. I used my mid '70s 4001 and nobody ever complained the tone sucked or it was the wrong bass to be playing. Quite the opposite, actually. :bassist:

10. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    What's a Rick supposed to sound like?

11. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Go past the silicone toys, make a left at the beaded curtain (I recommend you move fast and keep your eyes forward) and the clothes are to the left just past the imported DVDs.

12. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Not quite sure, actually. But I don't ever recall any sounding like that one. Almost every time I've seen a demo for a Ric, there's always this one sound. It has a huge presence, rich timbre and is quite unique. That was what I expected and didn't hear. I was looking forward to hearing how that aggressive sound could fit in on Mister Magic.

13. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Ricks are capable of many different kinds of sounds; it is unfortunate that many pigeonhole them.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  14. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    and whatever you do, don't make eye contact!

15. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Eye contact? Don't make any contact! :bag:

16. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Ewwwwwwww..... :D

Snaxster likes this.
  17. Yeah, you're right I didn't notice that. Yeah this guy is a monster.

Michael Schreiber likes this.

18. Yeah, he always makes me smile.:laugh:

19. Fxpmusic

Fxpmusic

Jul 5, 2013
    I almost posted the same video. He makes me smile. Awesome vibe and badass player.

20. Chris Brubeck uses a fretless Ric and it doesn't sound anything like what you'd expect it to. Too many people think Rics and telecaster guitars are only allowed to have one tone. If you stray too far from it they get bewildered. How can a two pickup instrument with separate volume and tone controls only get one sound? At any rate, Grover himself would have enjoyed this rendition of his tune, I think.