Rickenbacker sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by embellisher, Feb 20, 2004.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have recently fallen in love with the sound of a Rick, played with a pick.

Like Chris Squire, and Dave Meros.

But I like 5 stringers with at least 17mm string spacing.

Is there anything else that will get that luscious Rick tone?
  2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hmmm. How about building a Warmoth custom with a maple body and using Ric pickups in the proper position? I would think that'd get you most of the way there.
  3. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Rickenbacker made a 5 string bass for a couple of years, the 4003S/5. I found a spec sheet so you can see if you can live with the looks/spacing or not.

4. lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    I tried for years to get a Ric sound without actually buying one. Never happened. I bought a 4003 last year. That's the only way the get "that" sound. They did make a 5 string, and they show up on eBay on occasion. Usually in the 1500 range, but the spacing is tight. The 4 strings spacing is tight, and I hear the 5 is even tighter.
  5. Something like this?:

By Sandberg :bassist:
  6. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I checked the german site that was hosted in. It's supposedly a special edition model "Rick 2004".. I looked it up online, and there's nothing listed.
  7. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    I don't think that Ric looking five string is really a Ric. But I bet it sounds good. :cool:
  8. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Whoops. I misread. It's a Sandberg Ric copy. Yes.
  9. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Ric no longer makes a 4003/5. They now make a 4004/5 Cheyenne II. I have not heard anything about this bass, so I cannot comment on it. I did notice in the specs that it has a 33-1/4" scale like all Rics. Not to sure how that would work on a 5 string.
  10. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    When I first started looking at 5ers, I had the chance to try out a used Ric 5 that was at a local store. Absolutely the worst 5 in that price range, IMO. They basically crammed 5 strings onto a regular 4 string neck resulting in spacing that was more like a baritone guitar than bass. So not fun to play that it was hard to even start listening to the tone whiach was just ok.

Which is a shame because Rics do have a distinctive and attractive tone....
  11. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

The Cheyenne II supposedly has a more normal string spacing. Still, I don't think a 5 string is Ric's thing. I am not convinced that they could do a credible job.
  12. The CII can come with 5 strings but its pickup config is alot different than a traditional RIC 4003/4001. I havent played one...but from what i hear...they dont have the traditional RIC sound, but a sound all unto their own.

I honestly think the best thing to do is to find a used 4003/S5 someplace (www.ricpage.com might have one) and adapt to the string spacing if you can.
  13. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I had the 4003S/5 for a while. The most expensive piece of **** I've ever owned...and I absolutely LOVE Rics. They didn't put any thought into that model at all. Spacing is just ridiculously tight and the scale length left alot to be desired for B string tone. I'm interested in hearing the 5 string Cheyenne model but I'm still skeptical about the scale length.
  14. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Man, that Sandberg Rick copy looks wicked. I've always had a thing for Sandberg basses.
  15. embellisher

Darn. I knew that this would probably be the answer when I posted this thread. The 4003S/5 is out of the question. The string spacing is much too narrow.

If I wasn't so hung up on 5 stringers, I would just find a used 4001/4003. But I just need that low B.:(
  16. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    String BEAD, I hear those things growl nicely when tuned low :p
  17. embellisher

Naw, I need a G string too.
  18. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Put it on under the pants, noone has to see it!

19. tune BADG, and just olay what you need from the E on the B string.