Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ridiculous Compression

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by danqi, Jul 3, 2004.

1. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    First of all, let me tell you that I don't feel comfortable asking a "What pedal should I buy?" type of question, but I just don't know a lot about compressors since I have succesfully ignored them until now. Also, I don't really have the opportunity to try out a lot of stuff where I live and searching did not really help me that much. I will try to be specific.

I am looking for a compressor stomp box thats under 200$. I want it to be capable of delivering ridiculous compression that cuts through flesh like a battle axe.(I did not just write that, did I..., whack :smug: ) Maybe something along the lines of what Tony Levin did to his sound on "Secret World" by Peter Gabriel. I want it REALLY punchy.
    Also, it would be nice, if it could also produce a usuable "normal" sound, for the times when I don't want to injure anyone with my playing. :)

I don't want to use the EBS compressor, because I have only made bad experiences with them. And I, of course, also don't want to use anything by Boss.

2. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Not within your budget, but close, is the AnalogMan BiComprossor. Essentially 2 comps in one... one is good for smooth/transparent, the other is good for adding serious thump. You could also buy each one (i.e. each half of the BiComp pedal) as a separate pedal from Analogman, they're both good.

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

A FMR RNC would fit nicely in your budget.
    You can get it for 175 us$ and it's a much better quality than a stompbox.
    It works fine for bass and can be powered with a standard 9 V power supply.
    If you want to be able to switch it, you could use a Loooper or something similar.

4. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    Neither one of those seems to be available where I live.

5. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
  6. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    Sounds interesting. But can I also get extreme sounds with it?

7. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    I'm not sure about that. I think it's primarily made to be a natural sounding Compressor - What kind of extreme sounds are you looking for ?

8. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    As I said in my first post, I want it to be REALLY punchy. A good example is the sound of "Secret World" by Peter Gabriel, in case you have that. I can't think of another example right now.

9. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I haven't tried one, and it's not exaclty a stomp box, but when I think extreme compression I think of the Alesis ModFX one. I think it's called a SmashUp.

10. LWatford

LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    Might try a guitar stomp box compressor (Boss CS-2/3, etc.)

Tony did have three Retrospec Comps and a Distressor in his rack...but I think I've read that his early super compressed stick sound was a DynaComp.

11. LWatford

LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    And if you find that Secret World tone, let me know, 'cause I'm looking for it too! :D

12. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    The Boss CS-2 does NOT work for bass, it makes your bottom end disappear. It sounds great on my tele though.

13. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Digitech X-series bass compressor? I listened to the soundclips on the website - the "glassy" setting sounds suitably Levin-esque.

14. LWatford

LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL

Thats odd...I've got an older equipment list of Levin's pedalboard, and he had a CS-2 on there.

15. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yes I do like the Digitech, I don't think it's capable of ridiculous levels though.

I dunno what's up with Tony Levin, except that he can make anything sound good. :) Maybe he also has a xover and just uses the CS-2 on the highs? I will never trade away my CS-2 because it sounds so great on guitar, and I was very excited to try it on bass, but it was a big disappointment. YMMV

16. LWatford

LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL

I'm kinda thinking about the same thing. The CS2 would have only been for really extreme compression, as he still had the Retrospec comps on his board (this would be the BaBoom/Thrack Attack era).

17. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    There is a 163A on german eBay right now. Where is the difference between the 163X and the 163A? I can't find any info on the dbx page.