1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ridiculously inexpensive strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by funkmaster p, Aug 15, 2017.

1. funkmaster p

funkmaster p Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Brunswick, GA
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    Felken and Killed_by_Death like this.
  2. I wouldn't, because the E string is too light for Drop D tuning.

funkmaster p likes this.
  3. bunnykeeper

bunnykeeper

May 28, 2011
    Japan
    As long as shipping isn't too high, why not give 'em a shot?

funkmaster p likes this.
  4. Go ahead, give in to the temptation so you can give us a review.

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    $8 shipping for one set of strings makes it not so cheap for one set of strings, but it's also $8 to ship four sets which helps...if the strings are any good.

So, let us know what you think when you get them!

funkmaster p likes this.
  6. funkmaster p

Jul 15, 2012
    Brunswick, GA
    If you play around with the shopping cart, you will see that the $8 shipping charge goes to 0 with about 20 sets.

staurosjohn likes this.
  7. I did read more than one time that there are only maybe 2 or 3 big string factories, at least only 2 or 3 suppliers of the steel for the string. Wonder again, if this is true.
    Back in the '80ies Yamaha strings were very cheap and among the longest lasting roundwounds I ever tried. But they were very uneven. Kind of Yamaha wanted strings with a long lasting zing to make their basses sound better in comparison in shops but otherwise don't care much for their quality when it is possible to cut costs. Maybe it's the same here. They look uneven in diameter in the picture esp. the E-string.

funkmaster p likes this.
  8. funkmaster p

Jul 15, 2012
    Brunswick, GA
    I've heard the same about the same factories putting out strings of different makes. And I also thought the strings had a weird inconsistency in the pic.

9. funkmaster p

Jul 15, 2012
    Brunswick, GA
    I ordered a set, and will let people know of my findings. I was happy to see that they didn't charge any tax.

10. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    I'm a new bass guy, but I've been guitar I been for awhile. Bass strings gave me sticker shock.

11. funkmaster p

Jul 15, 2012
    Brunswick, GA
    As someone who has been playing gigs since the 70s, one nice thing is that the price of bass strings hasn't increased proportionally to say, the cost of quality instruments.

12. They last a long time though unless you get addicted to new string zing. I personally have never broken one either.

funkmaster p likes this.
  13. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Not sure about the wire part but I can think of at least 10 separate string factories in the USA alone. That does not count the ones in China where these strings are made.

funkmaster p likes this.
  14. I spent quite a few years in retail business, where I learned "cheap" doesn't always mean "good value".
    Nothing against the "Made In China" sticker, but I tend to proceed with caution when something is "ridiculously inexpensive".

15. It would be interesting to know the quality of these strings. You wont be out much money, but in my experience, you do get what you pay for (most of the time).

funkmaster p likes this.
  16. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
  17. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    ever tempted to try the $13 Long & McQ strings? (Canada's Guitar Centre for non-Canucks)....I remember someone saying they were made by D'addario or someone and not a bad deal

18. L&M branded strings are actually by Dean Markley. Never been interested in trying them regardless of the price.

edencab and funkmaster p like this.
  19. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I don't know if it was this thread or a different one that stated they got some really cheap strings on ebay. I followed a link that someone left and bought 2 sets. I figured, hey, for $5 a set, worth a shot right? I got them over last weekend. Strung my P bass with them. Good God they were not good at all. The output on them was horrendous. They came off after 10 min of playing. IDK if these are the same ones you are referring to in this thread, but I'll stick with my D'Addarrio Pro Steels.

JGbassman and funkmaster p like this.