Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rig for NS EUB?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by peterpalmieri, Aug 27, 2005.

1. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Hey guys,

I have an NS with original strings Piezo pick ups only and I am currently playing it through my Mesa Boogie Scout. I am really not happy with the sound I'm getting. I also have a Bag End S18D, which I would consider buying another head for.

So my question is should I try different strings? Should I get an Epifani, Acoustic Image, Euphonic Audio, Walter Woods head to match to the Bag End?

Or should I do something totally different to get as close to a traditional upright sound. BTW I have read many of the prior threads already.

I am concerned with weight not so much on the cost.

Pete

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think I've mentioned before that when I played my CR5 through BG Cabs then I wasn't happy with the sound - but through my EA VL208, it is much more convincing - EA cabs are the way to go!

I also noticed a big difference - more like DB sound - when I switched the original strings to Pirastro Orchs - huge step up in quality! :)

3. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    i would suggest changeing those strings...the stock ns strings are
    a bad joke :scowl:
    i have tried alot of amps and cabs with my nscr5m, and have had great results with an
    aguilar gs112 cab, no matter which amp i use. i'm not sure which amp to go with yet, but since i don't use eq on the amp if at all possible, the simpler the better.
    i will be getting another gs112 for sure. they handle the b string great.
    one thing of note, there is always a decent p.a. with good subs for shows, so i don't have to worry about losing any subharmonic content
    at loud performances.
    cheers
    doug

4. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I am thinking of going with a set of Kohlstein strings and a Epifani head for my bag end.

5. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    just wanted to add that i currently use a set of d'addario helicore hybrids, i play arco and pizz 50/50, they're great.
    d

6. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    I am more than happy to use my NS with Focus/ Glockenklang Acoustic Art Cabinet 1x10 or Bass Art Cabinet 1x15 for bigger venue

7. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I assume your referring to the Acoustic Image "focus". I have read a lot about them but haven't had a chance to try one. Does it work well for Electic bass also, most of my gigs I'm doubling.

Pete

8. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    Acoustic Image Focus works well with electric bass. I use different preamps like Glockenklang Bass Art , Aggie DB 680 or Demeter VTBP 201 if I want to add 'colour' , otherwise it is fine, light but powerfull head.

9. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    The best set of strings I've ever heard and played on an NS are the Labella 7720 rope core.

10. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Never heard of them but I'll do some research.

I am going to stop in at Kolsteins and pick up a set of Varicore Orchestra string, see how those work out.

I do have a decent little MBOX set up so I will play with the strings to get the best sound I can and then work on the amp.

Thanks Guys

11. bassisten

bassisten

Sep 15, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Hi...

I have a Walter Woods amp and have until now played my NS CR5m through two Eden 2x10" XLT's with a good result.

I've been cutting down the size of my rig lately, so I've now ordered a Schroeder 1212 (2x12" w. tweeter). The 1212-cab is SMALL and delivers a 1000w@4ohm (8ohm option available). The weight is just 48 lbs! Price is low and nice...

I'll let you know in 14 days when I've tested it through.

12. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    This is a very busy weekend here on Long Island as far as gigging goes, so I haven't had a chance to pick up those strings yet, but I'm planning on trying the Epifani UL502 with my Bag and 15" and 18", both seperately and as a stack. Sometime next week.

Pete

13. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    The best thing I've done is make a mute out of some velcro, it really brings back the "zero sustain" thump of a walking line and gives it that traditional sound.

I have some new toys to run the NS through but a friend borrowed it to do some recordings this weekend, I'll post more results next week when she's back.

Pete

14. Keep us posted when you can. I just bought an NS CRM EUB about a week ago, and I'm really enjoying it but those strings have got to go. I'll be interested to hear what you end up with, string-wise or amp-wise.

I've got a Gallien-Krueger MB 150 combo amp (the little one, about twenty pounds), and so far I've gotten the best results by plugging the NS directly into the effects return, bypassing the combo amp's preamp.

15. mburd

mburd

Aug 20, 2004
    Maine
    After roading my NS CR-4 since Feb 05 with approx 50 gigs, the rig has evolved as follows:
    Setup: More like a modern jazz bass with fairly low action and medium relief.

Strings:I replaced the OEM's right away with Thomastik Spirocore Weich (S42W)EAD, with a marginally brighter TI Superflexible Medium G (#36) to enhance the occasional solo passage.

Controls: The piezo switch is in the middle and I start with the blend at approx 3 o'clock favoring the piezo. Bass flat, treble at 9 o'clock.

Amp: SWR Baby Baby Blue amp; woofer replaced w/Bag End ZE-10. This **greatly helped the amplifier realize it's frequency and dynamic rage potential with the NS. OEM woofer is ok w/slab however. Tone controls are pretty much flat, tweeter -6db. I also dial in a touch of compression (Aphex 1404 stompbox) in front of the input. We always have PA support, but on the rare occasion that more thump is needed I add an Aguilar GS-112. This vertical array works wonderfully.

Bag: The Undercover bag holds the Aphex and a Sabine tuner in the small outside pocket. My cables, biz cards, flashlight, etc fit into the black bag that the stand was originally intended to go into, and is packed in with the bass. The external bow pouch holds the stand, and the other other long unpadded one holds an extension cable, XLR and a couple other cable spares.
    This makes for an easy one-trip load-in.

My goal with this rig for my main singer/songwriter gig was to emulate a Roy Husky Jr vibe. Overall I am very happy with my setup. The Bag End speaker and Superflexible G are my latest additions to the setup. I play pizz only right now. When/if I attempt arco I may revise some stuff.

So far, so good..Yay!

16. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Here ia some more thoughts guys.......

I still have the stock strings on there, which I'll change soon, through the bag end 15 I am using the EA IAMP 350, same results with the Epifani UL502 as well.

It seems if I really boost the lows around "180" which is the top of my low control or the bottom of my low mid control, I really get a usable sound that I can sell as genuine upright.

17. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    update for me too:
    got another gs 1x12 from a fellow tber and i am amazed at
    the sound a pair of these can put out.
    played through the pair with the cr5m using a classic tube svt head,
    massive wooly low-end, maxxed the amp, loud as hell and the cabs
    took an arco low b (with the bass boost all the way up on the ns)
    in stride...
    also tried the same set-up with an ashdown head(black, light,
    just a couple hundered watts)...more hi-fi, still a big sound despite the small class d power amp and very articulate.
    last, i used an old marshall jcm800....mid-oriented,
    totally rock, a very agressive but still a nice, usable tone.
    damn these cabs are good!
    some folks say these cabs are scooped sounding,
    i don't think there's any lack of mid or hi end(the horn is the ONLY horn i have ever liked in a bass cab) these cabs easily just put out more lows than any other 1x12 i've tried.
    last comment, back to the horn: i sounds great for arco, very smooth,
    at lower levels it adds a nice presence, at greater volumes it can become uber-bright without sounding too harsh.
    i want one more!
    cheers
    d

18. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    Glad you like the cab :smug:

19. lionel

lionel

Sep 3, 2003
    Guadeloupe - FWI
    with my nscr5m I use a 12" cab (Swr), and it works great, I also use an eden 210 xlt with a WT300 head, the sound is more coloured than with the swr but it's nice too.

IMO I think that a 12" cab is more appropriated for an EUB.

20. thejimfactor

thejimfactor

May 9, 2005
    I play my EU6 through an SWR SM-500 with a Bigfoot 2x12 cab. This setup has the right amount of mid-low warmth for me.

In another thread I was considering the SWR Henry the 8x8 as a cab, but I couldn't locate one to try and wasn't gonna risk it sight unseen.

Instead, I'm going with a *safe* cab choice that will also benefit my EB playing. I'm ordering a SWR Goliath Jr. 2x10 and a Son of Bertha 1x15. They're back ordered, but I'll report back when I've put them through their paces.

By the way, if anyone is looking for a great deal on a new 8Ohm Goliath Jr., go to Elderly Instruments. They only have one in stock and it is currently (10/10/05) going for $419.

http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/GIIIJR-8OHM.htm