1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

rig overhaul: advice needed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pedalguy1, Sep 9, 2008.

1. pedalguy1

pedalguy1

Jun 3, 2008
    Riverton Utah
    my ampeg 410 HE recentlly blew a speaker, and while thats getting fixed it got me thinking about a new amp. Im using a berhringer right now, and it just isnt cutting it. there very little tone shaping and it isn't loud enough for band practices. I've been looking at the Little Mark II and like what i heard when playing it at my local guitar center, but im worried about power. Thats why im thinking the Carvin bx1200. I've searched the threads and everyone who has one seems pretty fond of it. Very transparent sound, huge eq options, lots of power, it seems like everything I would want and need in an amplifier. My problem though, is i'd probably want to run it bridged for the 1200 watts then just keep the voulume where i need it, but i'll have to get another cab. ( I was thinking Avatar 2x12 neo.) The Ampeg's power handling is 500 watts, and I believe that goes for the Avatar as well. Would it be harmful for me to run the two cabs with the bx1200 bridged at 4 ohms? how is the wattage split, each cab reciving half?

2. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    Get the LMII and a second cab (the Avatar 2x12 would be a good choice). Running the LMII at 4 ohms with two large cabinets you should have plenty of volume . . . unless you're competing with a 747.

3. pedalguy1

pedalguy1

Jun 3, 2008
    Riverton Utah
    I have a guitarist who's wanting to buy a Mesa triple rectofier soon, and our drummer is pretty heavy handed. Is 500 watts really going to do it? I play in a power metal band if that helps. I've asked on other forums and someone said the tone might sound too "bubbly" for the music I play.

4. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    While I don't know exactly what kind of sound you're going for, I wouldn't necessarily call the LMII 'bubbly.' Loud and clean is my take on it. The controls are simple, but useful.

IMO/IME if you are getting buried playing through the rig I described then you should probably sit your band down and have the 'louder does not equal better' discussion.

YMMV

5. I have a old Ampeg from 1983 SVT 8-10" kicks ass !

6. get a louder amp and another speaker cab. More power + more speakers = more volume. It takes a lot of cut through that head so don't go lightly. Maybe Peavey firebass 700? Good power for the price.

7. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Bubbly? Someone please explain!

I definitely suggest two cabs, 212 and that Ampeg 410he when it gets fixed. The Carvin Head sounds like a good choice with all of those watts.

Is there a 412 NEO available?

A Mesa Rectifier going through a 412 can go freakin' loud, keep in mind that most users of this amp kill the midrange and a bass player who uses a good amount of midrange can be heard amongst the chaos.

Only one guitarist? The 212Avatar and 410he Ampeg might just do the trick for you. A bigger cab combined with the Ampeg powered with the Carvin - would give you a rig with a lot more headroom. The LM II head could work for you as well if you don't boost the lows crazily.

8. pedalguy1

pedalguy1

Jun 3, 2008
    Riverton Utah
    Yeah, we've had that discussion, and for the most part it helped. I just can decide which head I want. The Markbass is just so portable and great sounding, but it doesnt have the eq, stereo outputs, the mute switch, ect. that the Carvin has. I really wish I knew what the Carvin sounded like to compare the two. Im guessing if I do opt for the Markbass I could get a poweramp to beef up my volume.

9. pedalguy1

pedalguy1

Jun 3, 2008
    Riverton Utah
    bump. Come guys. Could I get some more feedback please?

10. Br!na

Br!na

Aug 27, 2008
    St. Louis
    I play in a metal band competing with a Krank Rev1 and a Pod through a mesa 2:90. My rig is a LMKII through an 8x10 and I am not even pushing 11 o'clock! I'm constantly being told to turn down...

11. LowBSix

LowBSix Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    LM II
    Thunderfunk 550 or 750
    Rack set up w/BBEMaxT PreAmp & Power Amp for about $850