1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rig selection motivations

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by mrkode, Sep 9, 2008.

1. mrkode

mrkode

Dec 19, 2007
    Montreal
    Hi there Justin,

I ran through the post with the list and pics of your different rigs and I was curious as to what motivates you to select a certain rig opposite another for a specific gig.

Like with the chicks for exemple. What made you go with the Mesa rig instead of the Ampeg or the DB750?

I'm curious about the Mesa as the only experiences I had was in store and the cab seemed to be sounding clanky, too pronounced in the hi-mids and highs. That might be totally different on stage though. But if it is very pushy in those frequencies, and the usual bass sound in country music is rather very full, fat and warm, it makes me the more curious about why you go with the Mesa.

Also, I read in another post that you think of the Titan DI to be the best one you and engineers have heard. What makes it better than the one on the DB750 and is it a quality that's consistent throughout the different Mesa heads?

Forward thanks and have a great tour with NIN!

Marco

2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Never heard teh DB750 DI, I'll bet it's awesome. All I know is the Titan DI worked so well, sounded amazing. Mesa cab is too bright until you turn horn down, then it's all bizness.

I dunno why I went with the Mesa rig for Dixie Chicks; it was around, thought it would be fun to try something new. All good.

JMJ