1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rig Upgrade

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by friendlybass, Jul 19, 2012.

1. friendlybass

friendlybass

Jul 19, 2012
    Colorado
    I've been playing out of Fender Sidekick 35 and I'm looking to upgrade my gear. I like the sound of markbass stuff and a lot of pros I know reccomend orange, sansamp, ampeg, and acoustic brand stuff. I've been reading on here though a bunch of stuff about finding the tone I like and deciding what it's worth to me n stuff but I don't have the means to really shop around and get to know amps and youtube can only be so helpful. Any advice?

2. Noosh

Noosh

May 1, 2006
    North Carolina
    I know you mentioned seeing it a lot on here already, but what kind of tone are you going for, and what's your price range? I'm nowhere near as experienced as most of the people on here, but if you let us know as much about what you want to accomplish with your new rig we can be much more helpful.

3. Seems I post this answer frequently; never get tired of responding...

I recommend: New GC Acoustic. I understand prices are slashed. My wife bought me a B-200 Combo for $350. I believe they are half that price, now. Best bang for the buck regardless. I tried them all before buying.

B-200 has active/ passive inputs, D I to PA, 6 frequencies of semi-parametric EQ and a mid sweep "contour"...that means tons of tone control. [ easy set-up is to set everytjhing flat and sweep the contour to your taste,then add or subtract as needed. At first it all looks intimidating, but really it's "stupid" easy to operate.

With 200 watts @ 4 ohms into a 15" and HF horn, it has plenty of power in a small package; weighs under 50 pounds. I have a bad lower back and hernia repair and can lift/ haul it with no issues; always be careful when lifting anything.

Don't need that much power? Simply turn down the gain.

It can handle a low B-string without distortion. Holds it's own with a band; more power? D I into PA...DONE. Buy Acoustic

4. YuppyPunk

YuppyPunk

Oct 21, 2011
    As you are inexperienced, go mainstream and used whenever possible. The GC Acoustic stuff is decent and great value (especially now that they've slashed prices). You can't go wrong with either GK or Ampeg. Some underrated brands are Yorkville and Carvin.