Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rig vs combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by johans, Dec 7, 2004.

1. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    any of you have notice or have comments about this ...

say you have a
    300W 115 combo

and a
    300W head + 115 cab

assume they are of same brand
    do they produce same punch and power?
    or does the head + cab setup produce more?

2. johans

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    a clear example to it would be swr ..

swr black beauty combo .. is comparable to swr 350x head + son of bertha cab

3. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    It should be the same sound-wise.

The only things one needs to consider when discussing combos vs. seperates is...

1. Portability. Can you carry the seperates easier than the combo? Some think one heavy trip is better than two lighter trips. Something to consider if you can't park close to where you are hauling it or you play places with a lot of stairs.

2. Extra Cabs. Can the combo handle extension cabs, and if so, at what ohms? Some can, some can't, or not very well. With seperates, you can replace components easier.

3. Power. Is the combo in question powerful enough on it's own to handle a variety of situations, and if not see no. 2.

Combos, in and of themselves, were designed to be an all in one unit. If you want to be able to change things up, some combos allow for heads to be pulled out and replaced by a different head...ala Carvin RC210. Some don't.

Overall, I like combos, but only ones where I can add an extension cab if need be. There's a wide variety of good ones out there.

4. johans

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA

yeah
    the blackbeauty power at 350 on 4ohm
    if i add another cab will deliver 450W at 2ohm total

but it will be about 225W to each cab, and i think its a little bit underpower?