1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Right device for jamming and practicing

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by bozha, Aug 8, 2019.

1. bozha

bozha

Jun 5, 2008
    SRB
    I'm looking for some dead quiet solution for home jamming and practicing without disturbing anyone around. Looking through the internet i can say that small, portable interfaces are now the thing and I might say it's nice to have play along possibility, with modeling and recording. Problem is that i have zero experience with those and i would like you to put some of yours pros and cons for my narrowed list:

- iRig (smartphone interface, max portability, somehow looks limited)
    - Behringer UCG102 (or similar cheap PC USB thing without separate power source, might just do the thing)
    - Focusrite Scarlett Solo or any other proper standalone interface (bit cumbersome along with laptop, cable and power adapter)

Of course, any other suggestions are most welcome...

2. Acoustic356

Acoustic356 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    I have an Ashdown TonePocket, among a few other things. It gives you the feel of an amp... it's an interface, and you can use the 1/8" connector to play along with your phone.

bozha likes this.
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Take a look at the Zoom B3 or B3n as an alternative to the Focusrite. It can be used standalone with headphones (B3 will even run on batteries, B3n will not) or connected to a laptop via USB (which will also power the unit). Of course, it's also an effects box useful for gigs and used as a DI, too.

bozha likes this.
  4. ElectricBass72

ElectricBass72

Aug 6, 2019
    I use the Line 6 POD UX2 with Amp Farm when I need to be quiet. It's pricey at $200, but it has a lot nice tones for bedroom jamming through headphones. Downside is... must have a desktop PC or laptop to run it to access tones... it's powered by USB.

bozha likes this.
  5. If you are on a budget the Zoom U44 is a really good interface for the price that works with laptops but smartphones, too. Can be powered by batteries or a usb-ac adapter or via usb. Sounds really good. A bonus are the digital connections and the possibilities to connect Zoom mic-capsules or an additional 2x XLR capsule (the same that are used on the Zoom H6, F4 and F8). So if needed you can record up to 4 sources at once. Stay away from the i-rig and the cheap Behringer stuff.

bozha likes this.
  6. FDR Jones

FDR Jones

Apr 7, 2018
    Among those three, I would go with the Focusrite.

I had an iRig and the sound quality is truly terrible. I can’t imagine the Behringer is much better. The only thing you might want in that price range is an amplug.

7. bozha

bozha

Jun 5, 2008
    SRB
    Just realized that Amplug is having AUX-IN which puts it into consideration. Other suggestions are great, but might be to big for my needs.

8. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

9. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    iRig or similar is a good solution.
    You can carry it along with you.
    It works as good as working with a PC so you can play to tracks, songs, drums.
    Add modelers for amps/cabs and so on.
    The line outs can plug into amps or monitors.