Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

right hand - one finger per string?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by narcopolo, Oct 3, 2005.

1. narcopolo

narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    hi, i am learning to sweep pick on guitar, and it occurred to me that it might be possible to transfer the technique to bass. the left hand finger rolls should tranfer directly, but since i play with fingers on bass, the actual sweep pick is impossible. i am trying to figure out if adopting a right-handed one finger per string (plus thumb) technique would be a good sub for that, something like thumb on b, index on e, middle on a, etc. would this work out? does the question make sense? is there a better technique already?
    thanks, guys!

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Adam Nitti had a lesson on sweep picking at bassically.net before it deleted all of the good stuff. He would do an upstroke with his index finger and a downstroke with his thumb, IIRC. You can use your nail for a more pick-like attack. Since sweep picking is supposed to be a fluid upwards motion and downwards motion with the picking hand with the fretting hand doing the work, this method would make more sense than having to pluck each string with a different finger.

3. narcopolo

narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    i can see that.

4. I wouldn't use one finger per string unless I were playing banjo rolls or something. It seems to me that using thumb or index to sweep is a lot easier.