1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Right Hand Technique

Discussion in 'Ask Anthony Wellington [archive]' started by Felipe Gianei, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Felipe Gianei

Felipe Gianei

Apr 9, 2014
    Hi Anthony, how are you?

I'm trying to develop my right hand technique in the right way, but I have craze, every descendent pattern I play I always slide up and play the descendant notes with the same finger. I use the last finger I played the string below and use this finger in the upper string.
    For example, if I play in the left hand starting in the G to E string, 1234. My right hand will be G string 1212, D string 2121, A string 1212, E string 2121. Did you understand?
    I do this in high speeds..

That is a bad thing to do?

2. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Jan 4, 2011
    Maryland
    Hey Felipe,

I'm not good enough of a player to say whether something is bad or good or right or wrong. I don't like using those worlds. If what you play sounds good that's all that matters. Because there's no 'wrong' way to play something beautiful!

But,...

There is a such thing as efficient and not-efficient.

And that efficiency is determined by what you're doing.

If I'm walking up or down some stairs I'll probably alternate my feet.

But if I'm carrying a heavy ass suitcase then I almost always lead with the sane foot on each step.

It's 'situational'!

We naturally 'rake'(what you described) and double stroke. But we don't always naturally 'strictly alternate'.

My suggestion to you is that you learn how to strictly alternate in addition to double stroking and taking.

Strictly alternating is very efficient. That's why car pistons and bicycle pedals move that way.

I think you'd notice a dip in your speed initially but then your speed will increase by a lot.

Speed is a by-product of efficiency and repetition.

peace,
    anthony

3. Felipe Gianei

Felipe Gianei

Apr 9, 2014
    Thank you a lot Anthony!

4. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Jan 4, 2011
    Maryland
    Yup

5. KristinBidwell1

KristinBidwell1

Jul 5, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    Professional Bassist, Private Instructor
    Hey, Felipe! I totally agree with Ant. Just wanted to add that if you're trying to learn a different technique, practice it slowly first. That way your muscle memory will build up correctly so when you play at a faster tempo you won't have to think about it! Have fun! -kb

6. Brother Goose

Brother Goose The Process IS the Reward!

Dec 4, 2013
    Syracuse NY
    God Is Love
    It has been absolute torture to break my habit of making position shifts index-index etc...

Especially tough that I am mostly self taught and view "fingerboard geometry" as starting from my first finger (minor scales) second (major) or pinky (with the octave 3 strings above in the index).

Once I started making a "shift" in my shifts- it really helped with landing in a new position ready to much more damage/music without thinking.