right hand technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by kanti, Feb 22, 2004.

1. kanti

kanti Guest

Feb 22, 2004
    Eugene, Oregon
    When I'm finger picking at high volume, there tends to be a popping noise from my amp on each note. I've tried a pick and had no such noises, so I think it must be a technique problem. What am I doing wrong to make these noises, and how can I fix it? Any suggestions would be welcome...
  2. Bassius

Nov 6, 2001
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar amps
    Check to see if your string his touching your pickup (or the poles, if they are exposed) when you play. if so...lower your pickups or raise your action.
  3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    It's very possible that you are plucking too hard. Turn up the amp, decrease the intensity of the contact between your fingers and the strings and buy everything that Gary Willis has ever published!

I had to play a gig using someone else's rig on Saturday and the rig was not loud enough so i had to dig in harder, unfortunately. The result was popping noise and stiff playing.

A more relaxed, lighter touch will not only do wonders for your sound, but also for a more relaxed and effective overall style.
  4. You might need a more powerful amp.
  5. sunburstbasser

Oct 18, 2003
    That clanky sound is string contacting frets or pups. A lighter touch will solve the problem. Using a pick, the strings are plucked more parallel to everything else, so you really have to pick hard to get the click. Just turn up your amp, if its feasible. If not, time to go amp shopping!
  6. I agree. I'm convinced that plucking lightly will give you the cleanest, and best sound.
  7. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I like plucking hard, but I've also gotten that annoying, metallic noise... I solved it by still playing hard, but plucking the strings closer to the bridge, so there is less chance of the string hitting the fretwire. Try it, you may find it helps your sound. :)
  8. Raising the action would probobly help too, (unless you fixed that already).
  9. Another possibility is that you're catching the strings with your finger nails when you dig in. This used to happen to me quite often. If you think this is the issue, just try to attack the strings on a different angle and focus on using the pads of your fingers more.