1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Right head for cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cash87, Jun 22, 2007.

1. cash87

cash87

Jun 26, 2006
    Louisville Ky
    Im going about buying a new rig soon from saving some money. Im already sure about getting the avatar 2x12 neo. Also im getting a 15"speaker cab, looking at the GK115 or the SWR to fill out the bottom.
    My question is what amp should I use that can power both cabs with both of them at 8ohms. The 15"s at 8ohms are both at 200w and I believe the avatar 2x12 is at 500w...not sure if thats at 8ohms.
    Anyway im really new to this cause im use to combo amps and now im doing some serious giging I need something better.:help: Thanks in advance!

2. There's no need for the 115 if you have the 212. Why not just get a 210 or a 410?and as far as a head i can't guide you as i use a pre-power setup.

3. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    +1, no need for a 115 if you have a 212. Get an 8 ohm 212 neo and a good 350-700 watt head. That will really be all you need. If you need to be louder than that, then you should be going thru the PA FOH mix, unless you want to go deaf. I like GK heads, 700rbII, or 1001rbII. Either will rock the house down.

4. cash87

cash87

Jun 26, 2006
    Louisville Ky
    Ok im just going to go with the 212 and ive been looking at Ashdown and GK backline heads.

5. just a sugesstion based upon what i have read around here and that would be to try carvin(i would say behringer but people a going to start flaming when the havent owned the product).

6. carvin, ashdown, avatar... i've heard bad stuff about the backline stuff. and Behringer... its hit or miss, try one out if you find one.

7. Col200

Col200

Feb 18, 2007
    just pony up and get the GK1001RBII. You'll be glad you did.

8. cash87

cash87

Jun 26, 2006
    Louisville Ky
    I already own a Behringer combo amp. Its been ok but after playing many other rigs I find mine lacking. I've played through a GK1001RBII and it was awesome but dont have the funds for that right now. I'll look at start looking at Carvin since I've only experienced their cabinets and was pleased.

9. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    I have found that GK Backline 600 heads are pretty good. They also hold their value pretty well. I bought a used one for $229, played it for a year, and sold it for $249, then bought a 1001rb for $395 used. Just do your homework , buy used, save money.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021