1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

right place + right time = JAZZ BASS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kenjikun, Oct 4, 2009.

1. kenjikun

kenjikun

Apr 27, 2008
    Japan
    Yes, just want to share a very very nice story that happened about 6 hours ago. I was walking on my way home when I saw an elderly women carrying a bass hard case so I offered to help her. She happily agreed so asked where she was going and she replied to the nearest used shop which was about 300 meters away. My heart started to beat 1000 times faster:D.I knew she gonna sell the bass! I asked her who owns the bass and why she gonna sell it. She told me it is his son's bass but he already moved to another place. Her son told her to do whatever way to dispose the bass. So she decided just to sell it to used shop instead of throwing it away. She doesn't care how much the store would pay her. I asked her If I can see the bass and after I opened the case, without any hesitation, I asked if I can just buy the bass. I told her I am a bass fanatic. And what do you know..... SHE GAVE IT TO ME FOR FREE! I offered some amount ($100:D:D:D because the used shop would pay her the same amount) but she declined. She said my being helpful to her is more than any payment. Talking about at the right place at the right time.

This is my very first Fender Jazz. '75 RI with ash body, bounded maple neck and fingerboard with pearl block inlay.

[​IMG]

My '70 RI Precision is now with her cousin '75 RI Jazz

[​IMG]

2. Awsome Man, congrats and enjoy it :)

3. bassplayeroreo

bassplayeroreo

Jun 8, 2009
    Tel Aviv
    Now make it rain Warwicks!:D:D

4. Flaky Tuna

Flaky Tuna

Aug 15, 2009
    I'm sooo jealous :crying:

5. TheJerk

TheJerk

Sep 6, 2009
    I usually don't believe in Karma, but your good deed certainly worked out in this case. Cool story, and since she gave the bass to you for free, I think you HAVE to play it a ton.

6. So you'll sell it to me for 100 bucks now to make a profit right? :D

Congrats!

7. Ozonbass

Ozonbass Gold Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Chicago
    The kharmic wheel seems to always be turning.

8. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    thats a really sweet story. nothing like that ever happens to me, lol. but good score

9. phall2112

phall2112

Dec 31, 2008
    On my way to look for old people carrying basses :)

10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Awesome. Is it a MIA or CIJ? Loves me some '75 RI J.

11. stephenq

stephenq

Jul 23, 2009
    Kansas City
    +1!:D

12. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    MIJ? Beautiful instrument! And a wonderful story. Those are the instruments you never let go just based on how it came to you!

13. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I'm amazed. Some people have all the luck, finding gear in attics and/or getting it literally handed to them. :atoz:

Makes me really jealous, gratz! ;)

14. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Wow! Sounds like this was meant to be. And it looks so perfect, standing right next to your Precision bass - like a matched set.

What a steal! Now don't you feel guilty about "stealing" from little old ladies? :smug: :p

MM

15. Plookie

Plookie

Jul 14, 2006
    Endorsing artist: SIRE Marcus Miller v7 Jazz bass, DR Strings HI-BEAM
    Can you say....KARMA?

Congrats!

16. perkidan

perkidan

Sep 13, 2000
    Augusta, ky
    The way my luck runs, when I offered to help the lady, she would have hollered rape and I would be rotting in a jail cell for the next 30 years. lol

17. WOW..........WOW........WOW...........WOW....That's all I can get out.Wait........WOW!!!!

18. Somewhere out there is a poor guy who's asking his grandmother what she did with his bass, but with her Alzheimer's induced dementia she just can't remember. ;)

19. Dude, you suck.

20. Greatest thing I've read in a long time! :D

Amazing find Kenjikun! I hope she treats you well! ;):bassist: